Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Does this look like heat rash, keratosis Polaris or

Customer Question
Does this look like heat...
Does this look like heat rash, keratosis Polaris or something different. On both lower arms worse on right arm
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dermatology
4/24/2012
Dermatologist: Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Hi. I will do my best to advice. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor
Are you able to upload a picture of the rash?
If wont let me attach picture is the a way to copy and send it
You can upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box. If you can't find it (usually if you are browsing via a mobile or non-internet explorer browser), you can either upload the pictures to photobox or picasa web albums and paste the link here.
Alternatively you can email them to***@******.*** with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'.
Please note that you HAVE to send them from the email address you registered with on justanswer OR paste the link to your question in your email, or else the email won't be forwarded to me. Also do note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me (and hence uploading to online sites like picasa preferable), though usually they are forwarded within a few hours.
I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
there is no chat its email
If you can't find the paperclip icon above the box you are typing (this is what I called chat box), you will have to use the alternate options mentioned above.
Since this can't be a chat and I can go to dr tomorrow I'll have to stop. I asked a dr b4 and it was immediate and allowed me to attach photos
You can close this question and open a new one and I shall try and answer in chat mode and you can see if you can upload photos if you wish
i have emailed ir
Sorry. Who have you emailed? Who is ir?
I emailed the photo as you said to ask an expert to ur attention
Ok. In the meanwhile can you tell me when the rash started and if it is progressing? Is it itchy? Do you have it anywhere else?
I have extremely dry skin and my dermatologist said it was keratosis Polaris but this looks different. It got worse on Saturday when it was hot in NYC and I have been using a lot of Lachydrin 12% lotion. It does not itch or hurt
Ok. What age did it start?
I'm 44 and have lymphoma and recently got my ovarys out and it seems that it was all connected
Ok. It would be extremely unusual to get keratosis pilaris at this age. It is a disease of childhood - late 20s. Anyway once I get the pics I shall get back to you. It might be a few hours before they are forwarded to me
Ok
Thanks for being patient
Still no picture
Dermatologist: Camille-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Camille-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
As the other Expert has opted out I would be pleased to answer your question
Unless I can attach a picture I don't think it will work
Does the rash improve on lacthydrin application?
have you got the rash before?
IS the rash on upper arms and thighs only?
It seams to have made it worse. It worst on my lower arms, som on LEDs and back of arms. On lower arm
Lots of little skin colored bumps.
does it itch a lot?
does it have a grating hard sensation when you feel your hand over the bumps?
is there any oozing?
No itching, just feels like smooth little bumps no oozing some look they have white tip none bigger than pin head
Is there any redness over the area ?
is there any hair involvement?
could you again specifically define the areas of the body involved?
since how long is it?
what treatments have been given before?
I have always had bumps on the tops of my arms they got worse on saturday. No redness and there is hair but nor ingrown hair
It's been too long I'm ending this ?
Please refund my money
Looks like there was a lot of confusion generated while I was offline. I apologize as it was midnight here and I logged off. I opted out initially when you said you weren't able to upload pictures and were going to stop. However when you subsequently said you were going to email, I corresponded further and said I was going to get back to you once the photos arrive. I forgot to opt back in subsequently and hence the confusion.
Apologies. Anyway I have received your photos now. What you have is not keratosis pilaris. It is either a condition called papular granuloma annulare or these are plane warts. I would favor the former. This is not a heat rash either. The only way to find out for certain is to see a dermatologist and get a skin biopsy done. I would strongly recommend that with your history of lymphoma.
Do get back if you have any further questions and once again sorry for the confusion caused.
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili