Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have red bumps all over my pubic region which are mostly

Customer Question
red but some have a...
i have red bumps all over my pubic region which are mostly red but some have a little white spot in the middle. they are not painful but have been there for a while. the doctor referred me to a dermetologist and said it could be herpes, but i had a blood test a month ago when the rash first started to appear. I am also very itchy throughout my arms back and stomach what could it be?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/19/2012
Dermatologist: Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Hi. I will do my best to advice. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Are you able to upload pictures of the bumps/ rash?
i also have little tiny very itchy bumps that have just surfaced recently all over my arms, back and chest
Is anyone else in the family affected? Are you able to upload pictures?
my girl friend has not been effected (at least that she knows) the rash looks like a bunch of little pimples half of white are white heads. none of which are painful although i thought i had a large pimple or ingrown hair months earlier which had gone away (which was my only painful bump) i don't have any pictures
Ok. Does the rash on your arms And shoulders look different? Because you said that that is itchy and the spots on the groin arent?
the rash on my arms, back and chest look much different, the pubic region has been itchy but is a lot less itchy now, the body rash are very tiny some faint red and some not red at all, but the pubic rash is very red but only where the bumps are, the skin around it is normal. 3 bumps have spread to the very bottom of penis. The worse bumps have spread closer to my belly button about 1-2 cm below it and has stopped there.
Ok. One more question. Do the bumps ever go away and come or have the ones that have come just stated. Did the rash on the arms and groin start simultaneously? So the rash on the groin is itchy as well? Do you ever notice pus heads? Also are the bumps centered around the hair follicles or can they occur even in between the follicles?
the ones that have come have stayed and some are slowly fading away. the rash in my pubic area started at the same time as a small one on my neck. then neck rash went away months ago but the pubic rash kept getting worse. after about 6 weeks the body rash showed up and yes the rash on my groin was itchy but its not itchy anymore. i only noticed one head that was pussed (when i squeezed it thinking it was a pimple) and i think they occur in between the follicles as well.
It is very difficult from what you have said, to take even an educated guess as to what is going on. I initially thought that the whole rash could be scabies, but the fact that your girlfriend does not have any itch is against this.
So the other possibilities are conditions like Lichen planus, Insect bites or Papular eczema. I think without seeing pictures it is quite difficult to be sure. Anyway this doesn't sound like Herpes.
I think you would wait to see your dermatologist so that he/she can decide what is going on, but I suspect it is likely to be one of the diagnoses mentioned above.
Dr. S. Attili
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=b875035d5d&view=att&th=136cccf331 02bb6a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8fpFHY9a04JUPZ0MPJAgIh&sadet=1334876059359&sads=zUSQuOU1t4EEK5Jp7GDOd-t_bTA
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=b875035d5d&view=att&th=136cccf76cd54d9f&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8fpFHY9a04JUPZ0MPJAgIh&sadet=1334876091907&sads=ARH4gf_5kIL00b4H82G6sKWDdeY
can you see those pictures?
No. It says server error.
You can upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box. If you can't find it (usually if you are browsing via a mobile or non-internet explorer browser), you can either upload the pictures to photobox or picasa web albums and paste the link here.
Alternatively you can email them to***@******.*** with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'. You HAVE to send them from the email address you registered with on justanswer OR paste the link to your question in your email, or else the email won't be forwarded to me. Please note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me (and hence uploading to online sites like picasa preferable), though usually they are forwarded within a few hours.
I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
ok i will email them now
ok. Please make sure you follow all the instructions as detailed earlier while emailing!!
will you reply to my email or the webiste?
I have to reply on the website. We are not allowed to reply directly to customers
ok talk soon
sure
have you got the pictures yet?
I am afraid not. Please chase up with customer service as they need to forward the pics to me. Thanks
I noticed the bumped looked like a few examples of lichin planus and noticed they are very symmetrical which i think is associated with that type of rash?
it is possible but I cant be sure without looking at the pictures.
one worry is the zovirax cream i received from the doctor while i wait for then dermatologist seems to either be working or maybe the rash is finally running its course
It is unusual for herpes to last this long. I suspect tat the rash is just running its usual course.
ok great ill accept another answer once the pictures have been forwarded to you, thanks for the help so far speak soon
you are welcome. I shall get back to you ASAP.
Hi. I received your pictures now and can see the bumps. However pictures are not of a resolution enough for me to be 100% sure. I wonder if what you have in your groins is actually a condition called molluscum. Can you look at this weblink and see if the pics match?
http://dermnetnz.org/viral/molluscum-contagiosum.html
You haven't sent me pics of the rash on your shoulders, so can't really comment on that
they seem smaller and more white in the center (when they were inflamed)
Ok. The lesions of course will not look typically like in the pics in everyone. But, this is really the closest match I can think off. One clue to molluscum is that you can squeeze the bumps out by pinching between your fingers.
I wouldn't still discount scabies as it can also look like that. The only other possibility if a folliculitis (inflammation in the hair follicles). But you would notice some pus filled spots in folliculitis and the spots would all be centered on hair follicles.
The bumps however are not typical of either lichen planus, herpes or papular eczema/ insect bites.
if i contracted molluscom, since i have been with the same girl for the last 6 months if would have certainly came from her. and if she gave it to me wouldn't she have had to contract this from someone else during this time?
If it is molluscum........would you have got it from your girl friend being promiscuous. Tricky for me to answer that. But not necessarily. Molluscum is not a sexually transmitted disease as such. You could have got it yourself by touching someone with sub clinical molluscum infection and then touching your skin. You don't need direct skin to skin contact. Indirect contact would have been enough. Hope that makes sense
knowing that it started in my pubic area because of her skin to skin contact first irritating me and then developing into this rash would it be safe to say it was?(if it is molluscum)
Sorry I did not understand this question. Safe to say what?
safe to say that since her contact first irritated my pubic area from friction during intercourse, then that same area developing into the rash it would have been caused from her
No. It could have as easily caused by you touching something and touching yourself
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili