Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have an itchy forehead. The itch can be in my eyebrows too

I have an itchy forehead...

I have an itchy forehead and have had for a couple of months. I feel I need to do something about it as it is getting no better. The itch can be in my eyebrows too. It is sort of prickly. The is no itch anywhere on my head or face other that forehead. I would try anything to stop it.

Already Tried:
Antihistamine tablets - but not keen to take them all the time.

3/16/2012
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Has there ever been a rash in the affected area?
Any dandruff in the scalp?
No dandruff and no noticeable rash although my hair dresser says there is a slight rash under the skin if you look very close

Thank you for the information. It sounds like you have a mild case of Seborrheic Dermatitis. This is a condition where the body loses tolerance for a yeast called Malassezia (which is present normally on all our skins) and starts attacking it leading to redness and scaling. Itching is variable but can be severe and in some cases can be the predominant symptom (as in yours).

Here is what I would recommend trying:
1. 1% Cortizone cream + 1% Clotrimazole cream: Mix and apply twice a day for 14 days over the affected area. Then once at night for 4 weeks.
2. Tab Claritin 10 mg morning and evening for 14 days
3. Cap Lumitene (Beta Carotene) one morning and evening for 1 month. This is an excellent anti-oxidant and decreases the itching associated with this condition.
4. Tab Biotin 5 mg - morning and evening for 3 months. This helps prevent recurrences.

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

What is the cause of this? Can I just go into any chemist and they will have these? Do I need them all?

Yes you can buy them all at your local pharmacy without a prescription as well as online at www.amazon.com

The regimen works best when all the measures are done but if it looks like too much then the first 2 measures are the only essential ones (the cream mixture and claritin).

Regarding the cause - as I said it is a sort of hypersensitivity reaction to a yeast that is normally present on all our bodies. Why this hypersensitivity develops is not known though.

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Thank you I am willing to give all a go and will order on amazon for ease. Thank you
You're most welcome! All the best & regards.
I have ordered two product on Amazon, Beta carotene and Biotin, but went to the chemist for two. One product - the cream you recommended was not to be used on the face?! The quantity of Clarityn was double the precribed on the box? Both has left me questioning your advice. I await your comments with interest.
Hello again,
I'm not sure which cream you're talking about but both cortizone and clotrimazole are perfectly safe to use on the face. Instructions on boxes are for the lay public and not when used under a doctors advice. Same goes for claritin - the usual dose is 10 mg once a day for allergies but one can safely take upto 40 mg if required. 20 mg per day (10 mg in the morning and night) is what I prescribe for itching such as yours. Hope this clarifies my answer. Regards.
I will give the treatment you suggest a try.
Okay great. Regards.
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist