Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I am an 98yrs. old and over the last 8 years, have developed…

Customer Question
I am an 98yrs. old...
I am an 98yrs. old and over the last 8 years, have developed and extensive growth of seborrheic keratoses. Several of them are the size of quarters to half-dollars. I have had 2 Dermatologists diagnose them, with no further comments except there is no treatment for them == except surgery if they appear on my face or in a spot where they would be irritated. I have them on my legs up to the back of my neck and starting in my hair. On the way up from my legs, I have a couple of them on the lips of my vagina and close to my rectum.
Is there nothing that can be done for these annoying, ugly, horny growths?
I know my mother had a very large black one on her forehead which was removed. Other than that, I don't know whether they were all over her body or not. I understand that they are genetic.
Does anyone know the cause of them?
Is there any way of controlling future growth of them
Is anyone doing any research on them?
Thank you in advance for any advice, answers, or comments.
Appreciatively,
Alberta Pennak
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
3/5/2012
Dermatologist: DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath replied 6 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Hello
Your doctor is the correct, but surgery can mean freezing, not just cutting them off.
There is also laser.
And treatment with electric current..so they just fall off.
There is absolutely no medicine to treat these and nothing in the works.
There is no known cause.
They might or might not run in families so inheritance is unclear.

There is research being done on a gel called ingenol at this point in time..no results yet.

I would suggest that you see a dermatologist that dose laser therapy as this is often the fastest and least traumatic way of removing these.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Is there any help for seborrheic keratoses:
Hello
See above
Here it is again
Let me know if you have further questions
Please don't forget accept
Hello
There is also laser.
There is no known cause.

good luck