Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had these small bumpies on my toe for a time, but…

Customer Question
I have had these small...
I have had these small bumpies on my toe for a long time, but never did anything because they never bothered me other than maybe be a little tender occasionally. But just yesterday the little bumpies had some little spots that resemble blackheads, but they are dark reddish.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
3/2/2012
Dermatologist: Dr. R. Bora, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Are all your toes affected?

Are your nails affected?
No, just one toe, and no, my nails are not affected. It is just on the bottom of my big toe.
Alright.These are not fungal infections to be sure which usually affect nail beds. however, these may be small hemangiomas or dilated blood capillaries in the bottom of the big toe from the small arteries there. These are usually of not much significance but if they are painful, you should see a dermatologist. These could be removed, if at all necessary by electrocautery . The black head could be due to deposition of sulphur / iron pigments on the spots.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

Please press the "green accept button" to accept this answer and give credit for my work and time.

Positive Feedback and bonus is warmly appreciated.
Will they go away? Are they a symptom of anything bad? Should I be concerned? Thank you.
No, these are really not somethimg that requires active treatment but to be sure, you should get an ultrasund of the big toe to see if they are just superficial r going deep into the tissues underneath.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Do I need to go to a dermatologist for this, or can my primary care physician take care of it?
Sorry, to keep you waiting .

Get clinically examined by your primary care physician initially followed by a referral to a dermatologist.