Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Is Terrasil for shingles available over the counter? What is…

Customer Question
is Terrasil for shingles available...
is Terrasil for shingles available over the counter?
What is available overcounter to ease the pain of shingles until I get to a doctor?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
12/26/2011
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Terrasil is a non-prescription cream and so yes should be available over the counter. I'm afraid I have no experience with using it personally so cannot comment on its efficacy but I do treat a lot of Herpes Zoster. The best treatment is to start Tab Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day for 7 days - this shortens the duration of the zoster and markedly decreases the incidence of post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN). PHN is a persistent nerve pain that can last for months because of nerve damage in zoster. For best results it should be started within 3 days of the eruption starting. Since you cannot reach your own doctor is there another doctor you can see? Or perhaps you could go the ER to get the prescription.

If you cannot do so here is what will provide symptomatic relief till your doctor gets back:

Tab Advil 400 mg three times a day after meals. The dose can even be doubled if there is insufficient pain-relief.

Neosporin cream twice a day on the affected area to prevent secondary infection of the blisters. If there are a lot of blisters or oozing in the affected area do 5 minutes of vinegar compresses before applying the cream. For this mix half a cup of white vinegar in one litre of tap water, soak a clean cloth and spread over affected area. After 5 minutes gently wipe off any crusting or discharge and apply the neosporin cream. Store the vinegar compress solution in the fridge when not in use.

Ice compresses as often as you desire for pain relief. Calamine lotion can also be used as often as you like for this purpose.

Methylcobalamin sublingual tablets once a day for 4 weeks. These are self-dissolving tablets that should be placed beneath the tongue and left to dissolve on their own. Here is a suitable brand:

http://www.amazon.com/Methylcobalamin-Sublingual-Vitamin-B-12-5000mcg/dp/B000BO1LY4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324907074&sr=8-2

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.