Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I HAVE ITCHING ON MY RIGHT ARM BUT THERE IS NO RASH AT

I HAVE ITCHING ON MY RIGHT ARM BUT THERE IS NO RASH AT ALL.IT SOMETIMES COMES AT THE TOP OF MY LEFT ARM TOO.IT IS WORSE AT NIGHT WHEN I GO TO BED AND HAS STARTED WAKING ME UP WANTING TO SCRATCH MY ARM OFF.WHAT IS IT AND WHAT CAN I DO TO RELIEVE IT? (I WAS IN THE MALDIEVES IN OCTOBER BUT DONT THINK I WAS BITTEN BY ANYTHING.)
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
How long have you had this itching?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
a few weeks now sometimes its just on my right upperarm but recently its on both upper arms travelling down to my right wrist and occasionally along my right collar bone. it seems to get worse when im settled in an evening.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is suggestive of a condition known as Neurodermatitis.

Neurodermatitis is a condition where the nerves in any area of the body become hypersensitive and fire under normal conditions to produce a sensation of itching. The primary problem is itching and any skin rash, redness or excoriation is secondary to the scratching. The skin may look absolutely normal.

This leads to an 'itch scratch cycle'. As in the more one scratches the more the area itches and so on. The first step in treatment is to break this cycle by giving relief from itching and instructing the patient to avoid scratching as much as possible.

Here is what will help:

1. Clobetasol propionate cream + Mupirocin cream: Mix and apply over the affected areas twice a day for 14 days then switch to Fluticasone propionate cream once at night for 2-4 weeks. All of these will require a prescription. Nothing over the counter will help much, the only product with some benefit is 1% Cortizone cream.

2. Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 14 days, then once a day for 6-8 weeks. Initially the dose can be increased to 2 tablets taken twice a day if there is insufficient relief in itching.

3. Sarna sensitive lotion can be used 2-3 times a day to give further relief from itching. This can be continued even when the above creams have been stopped.

4. Avoid scratching the affected areas as much as possible. This is most important. Whenever it is not bearable soak a towel in ice cold water and keep it on the affected areas or apply the Sarna sensitive lotion.

Lastly keep the affected area as well moisturized as possible with a moisturizer of your choice.

NOTE: 1% Cortizone cream, Claritin and Sarna sensitive lotion can be bought without a prescription.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
a lady has given me a tube of SOLARAZE 3% GEL,can i use this or will it harm me.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

I don't think this will help you since Solaraze gel is used for Actinic Keratosis and this presents very differently. There is also a significant irritation risk with the gel.