dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

My rash looks like ringworm but does not itch, I have two

my rash looks like ringworm but does not itch, I have two areas of the rash, near the elbow under my arm and the side of my knee area/ what can this be
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

There are two entities (at least) that look like ringworm but ar not.

dermdoc19 :

The one wwe see most in our office is something called granuloma annulare. This is a benign tissue reaction involving the second layer of the skin, the dermis.

dermdoc19 :

A second entity which can look much like ringworm is erythem annulare centrifigum. This is also a tissue reaction, and in this as its name indicates too red ring like structures are seen on the skin.

dermdoc19 :

Finally, Pitryaisis rosea, initially presents with a ringworm like area, called a herald patch, before it breaks out in its more characteristic form. Even in full blown PItyriasis Rosea, we see many lesions that look like advanced ringworm.

dermdoc19 :

Only Pityriasis Rosea itches, and only sometimes.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to look at a photograph to help determine which one of these entities this could be.

dermdoc19 :

Thank you.

Customer:

Where can I email a pic of my rash to?

dermdoc19 : Forward to this site by clicking on the paper clip icon and forwarding.
Customer:

dermdoc19 :

This does look like Granuloma Annulare. This is caused by inflammation in some of the blood vessels which are feeding the dermis part of the skin. It may or may not have a relationship with diabetes. There is a breakdown of collagen around the inflamed blood vessels. Some people speculate that it may be tied in with yeast infections. Do you have a history of yeast infections?

dermdoc19 :

By the way only one photograph was transmitted.

Customer:

I did a yeast infection about a year or two ago, but prior to that I hadn't had them since my thirties. I know don't have diabetes, I was just recently checked.