Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have Rheumatoid Arthritus as well as Fybromalgia and have…

Customer Question
Good day I have Rheumatoid Arthritus...
Good day
I have Rheumatoid Arthritus as well as Fybromalgia and have been taking the following medication for the last 5 years:
1. Salazopyrin EN 500 mg
2. Methotrexate 2.5 mg
3. Arava 20 mg
4. Lyrica 25 mg
5. Lyrica 75 mg
6. Altosec 20 mg
7. Tramal SR100 (only when in severe pain)
8. Cymgen 60mg
9. Arcoxian 90mg
For the last 6 months I have been having trouble with a rash that appears on my back (my upper arms and shoulders) as well as my lower back and sides. It is incredibly itchy and it is raised and sensitive to touch.
I've used a number of product to try and get rid of the rash but to no avail - I'm currenly using Dove ointment (think it is the name - a schedule 4 ointment) but it is not working.
Nothing changed, I did not change my soap, cream, washing powder or anything.
Please advise.
Regards
Karen
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
11/2/2011
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Dr Nair : Hi, would it be possible to take a photograph of this rash at your convenience?

I will try to do it as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Karen

Thank you for the photograph. Tell me do these itchy, diffuse red raised areas come and go over the space of a few hours on differ areas of the body?

No Dr - it doesn't. I've only had it on my upper back and shoulders and then on my lower back and hips going down my thighs.

It doesn't move around but does not go away at all - it tends to be at its worse by afternoon and evening.

I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.
Thank you for the information. The possibilities I would consider for your rash would be Neurodermatitis, Contact Allergic Dermatitis and a non-specific skin rash possible associated with Lupus (SLE).
You will require a skin biopsy, blood ANA, dsDNA and an allergy patch test to make the final diagnosis. For this I would urge you to see a dermatologist or your doctor in the near future. There are effective treatments available for all of the above.
Till you can see your doctor take Tab Claritin or Zyrtec 10 mg twice a day, keep the affected areas well moisturized and apply 1% Cortizone cream twice a day on the affected areas. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription.
Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries,
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist