Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I am having laser hair removal at the end of the month on

the bikini area. I'm...
I am having laser hair removal at the end of the month on the bikini area. I'm a little nervous after talking to some friends that had it done. Most used a numbing gel and the ones that did not, said it was very uncomfortable; especially in more sensitive areas. I asked the technician during my consult if I could get the numbing gel. She said the dr could prescribe one, but suggested I try one session without it first. Is there a reason why she won't just give me an Rx for it?
10/8/2011
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

No , I cannot think of a reason why you should not use a numbing cream beforehand. Perhaps, she wants to show off the machine, that it is new, up-to-date and has a gret cooling device. Maybe, a sadist, who knows.

dermdoc19 :

In our office, we slap on numbing cream before nearly any procedure, even drawing blood. So, I am a bit perplexed, since it is readily available. The only reason I can think of, for not using numbing cream would be if you were allergic to one of the components.

dermdoc19 :

Our favorite numbing cream is made up by a local pharmacist ( PHd in Pharmacology). It consists of Benzocaine 20%. Lidocaine 6%, and Tetracaine 5%. We apply this 1/2 hour before treatment.

Customer:

Good to know. I live in Dallas...could I find that here? If the Dr gives me an Rx...what could I expect; or should I request a specific one? Yes. They do have the newest laser with the cooling device. But she still described it as a rubber band popping. That is still not comforting considering how many times that will happen and some areas that will be more sensitive.

dermdoc19 :

The only other issue that perhaps, may influence this physician/technician is that some physicians ( myself included) do not want to prescribe numbing cream to patients in the event that they mis-use it. There have been at least two deaths in this country due to inappropriate use of numbing cream. In both instances the "medical director" of a so-called medi-spa had a standing order for women to obtain numbing cream. They applied this to extensive areas ( arms and legs), were told to place Saran Wrap over it for better efficacy...went into a cardiac arrhythmia and died. However, numbing gel can really decrease the pain, so I would recommend its appropriate use.

dermdoc19 :

If ypou have black hair and light skin, the parameters will be set lower and it will hurt less.

Customer:

it is black and I am fair skinned

Customer:

I will insist on the numbing gel. :)

Customer:

thank you for your help

dermdoc19 :

We actually do not write a prescription for it for the reason I mentioned, but many physicians will. That is the best formulation. Most will write for EMLA cream and tell patients to apply it 1/2 hour before treatment.

dermdoc19 :

Also, if you take Aleve an hour before-hand that helps with the pain too. Just make sure that is OK since some physicians do not like pre-medication like that.

Customer:

I will do that. Thank you

dermdoc19 :

Good luck. Feel free to get back to me with questions. Our nurse aesthetician travels all over the East Coast training physicians and their staffs on how to use laser hair removal devices.

Customer:

thanks!

dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist