Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

What is itchy, crater-like, slow-healing sores?

what is itchy, crater-like, slow-healing sores?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

These sores sound like Ecthyma. This is a deeper form of impetigo and have a typical central crust which reveals a crater like ulcer on removal of the crust. Ecthyma can often come recurrently.

The first step into figuring out how to prevent this is to get your blood sugar level done (both fasting and after a meal). Diabetes can be a cause of recurrent skin infections.

If the sugar level is high then controlling it will prevent recurrences. For now here is what I recommend:

1. Mupirocin cream twice a day for 10-14 days over the affected areas. Before this compresses can be used to loosen the crust (if present). Soak a clean cloth in a mixture of half a cup of white vinegar in one litre of luke warm water. Apply the compress to moisten affected areas for about ten minutes several times a day. Gently wipe off the crusts and then apply the cream.

If there is no improvement within 3 days of this then you will require a 10 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day or Augmentin 625 mg three times a day.

2. Dial Antibacterial liquid soap for bathing. Continue this even when asymptomatic.

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Antimicrobial-Soap-Triclosan-Four/dp/B000BC11NW

NOTE: Dicloxacilllin and mupirocin will require a prescription so I would recommend discussing my recommendations with your GP/family physician. If you cannot do so in the near future then Bacitracin ointment is an OTC alternative.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.