dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have black spots which are raised on my face and all over

Customer Question

Hello I have black spots which are raised on my face and all over my torso. I first noticed this when I was a teenager and have have had it for over 30 years. I have tried many bath showers and creams to get rid of them including e.g tea tree oil and they do get smaller, then bigger again. I have asked doctors about it but they say there is no cure and its not harmful. I also noticed that when its really hot and I sweat the spots get smaller but never disappear and now as I am getting older more of these ugly spots are appearing. Can you advise how I can eliminate these black spots/back heads are of varying sizes.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph?

dermdoc19 :

If you are not able to provide a photograph, perhaps you could offer a more complete description. Are these spots all jet black or do they vary in color? Do they itch? Are they warty? Are they elevated or flat to the skin? Thank you.

dermdoc19 :

I am thinking these are seborrheic keratoses, the English call these seborrheic warts. You might google pictures this and see if that concurs. Have you consulted with a dermatologist regarding these spots?

Customer:

Hi Arnold,

Customer:

Apologies for not replying before now. Something happened and I had to deal with matter. I cannot upload a picture, but having looked at the seborrheic warts on line I think they are similar to the ones I have on my face and torso.

Customer:

They are mostly elevated on the skin and I have not been referred to a dermatologist. My doctors just say its not an issue as I am not in a relationship, but it is something that concerns me and I would like to resolve for myself because its quite ugly.

Customer:

I don't see why I cannot get rid of them completely because there are times when they do get smaller.

Customer:

But when I am stressed or in the winter they appear much more bigger, and who knows if that puts off a suitor?

Customer:

I hope you can give me a positive non invasive solution.

Customer:

Kind regards,

Customer:

Juliet

dermdoc19 :

Hello:

dermdoc19 :

Hello again

dermdoc19 :

The treatment for this is generally cryotherapy (freezing) for the thin ones and scraping off of the thicker ones. You can try using. It is felt that using Am-Lactin cream may help prevent these from forming, although there is a strong genetic component.

dermdoc19 :

When I was a resident Eugene Van Scott, the father of alpha-hydroxy acids, would show us, how to apply pyruvic acid to them and they would go away. He did this drop by drop and it took about 15 minutes before they melted away. His company Neo-Strata did market this for awhile but I think most of us lacked the patience to see this modality through. By the way, Neo _strata too has some good OTC products that might help...especially their 15% glycolic acid product.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer further questions.