Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

what do herpes look like on the penis I have had genital warts

what do herpes look like on the penis? I have had genital warts before--I have what looks like them now--only they are not responding to the imiquimod cream the doctor has given to me...i am very scared i might have herpes...maybe you can help with a description of herpes on the genitals..There is no blister--just what looks like a raised area..
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately prescriptions cannot be provided on JustAnswer but I can certainly tell you what the problem might be. Would it be possible to take a photograph of the affected area?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes--i can take one with my phone if I could send it to a cell number or email adress..
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately JustAnswer policy prevents direct email communication between customer and expert. You can upload the pictures to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required.

Another option is to upload pictures to www.photobucket.com or www.picasa.com and send me the link.

If this seems too complicated then just email the photographs to [email protected] with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line and they usually forward the mail to me within 24 hours. Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sending them to the experts email adress right now..thank you..
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Okay great, please make sure you mention my name in the subject line and ask them to confirm that they have received your mail. I will get back to you once they forward the mail to me. Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

any luck with the fotos?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Good Afternoon,

I just took a look at the photographs - tell me how long have you had these bumps?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
approximately 3 months..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has been approximatly 3 months since they occured...I have been patiently waiting--I hope you can help me..
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Genital herpes is completely ruled out based on your history. It presents as tiny fluid filled blisters that occur in groups. These then rupture to form shallow erosions, which may be mildly painful or itchy and heal with or without treatment in 5-7 days. Herpetic lesions can recur every few months for the first few years of infection, but lesions never persist for 3 months.

Your lesions are more suggestive of either genital warts or molluscum contagiosum. The photographs were too blurry to differentiate these two accurately. Both are genital conditions cause by viral infection. Though imiquimod is effective, these lesions can sometimes be resistant to it. Nearly 30% patients do not improve despite using it for 8-12 weeks. In such patients alternative treatment is required- either doctor applied podophylin, TCA, KOH or physical destruction with cryotherapy or laser. I would suggest seeing your doctor to discuss these possibilities.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

NOTE: I am sorry about the delayed reply. I am 12 hours ahead of you time wise which is partly why I only saw your posts today morning. Many thanks for your patience. Regards.