dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a patch of scaly, dry skin on my tailbone area. The

Customer Question

I have a patch of scaly, dry skin on my tailbone area. The skin is red, itchy and scaly. i have had this issue for about five years. It seems to respond to almost anything, I have tried, antifungal cream, facial cleaning products, atheletes foot spray, etc... nothing seems to heal it, the symptoms of itching, etc.. subside but immediately comes back when treatment is stopped. Most of the time the skin is dry and scaly, there seems to be one small raised bump in the dry scaly patch. There are times that the skin seems to not be scaly, but overly moist and wet...it is located directly at the top of where my butt cheeks come together, it could be sweat... I can send a picture.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

A picture would be very helpful. This is a classic area for psoriasis.

Customer:

dermdoc19 :

This does look like psoriasis with some of what we call lichenification, a thickening of the skin due to chronic rubbing.

Customer:

what do I treat it with?

dermdoc19 :

You would need something to thin the skin such as Carmol 20 and a steroid ointment , Maximum Strength Cortaid ointment would be the best OTC.. A tar preparation such as MG217 too. If these fail to work you would need prescription strength products. Sunlight will help. Dead Sea salts. Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

Customer:

I am sorry is cortaid the only thing I need or do I put the Carmol 20 on it as well?

dermdoc19 :

Put the Carmol 20 on at a different time.

dermdoc19 :

These are OTC medications, but as I said, you may need prescription strength.