Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

How do you rid yourself of demodex mites? I have them on my

Customer Question
face and neck and they...
how do you rid yourself of demodex mites? I have them on my face and neck and they are causing an infestation of wormlike parasites under the skin. You can see the tracks from them and the demodex mites pop out of the skin and it it very painful.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
8/1/2011
Dermatologist: dermdoc19, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Have you sought medical treatment? Do you want OTC advice or prescription advice?

Customer:

I have been misdiagnosed repeatedly and asked if i would like to see a psyciatrist! Idiots! I would like any advice you can offer me . I have had this problem at its worst for about a year now and I have done my own extensive research. I Believe that it is exaxcly what I described to you and I began this journey with a gall bladder removal. After that I think my immune system took a dump! I also have gone through menopause with no treatment just on my own which may have contributed to my immune system issues.

dermdoc19 :

Do you have pets? If you have a continued battle with Demodex you should have your pets, if any, checked.

Customer:

I have no pets!

Customer:

I have been housebound for almost a year now with open sores and the scarring is horrible. I cant leave my house like this!

Customer:

These things are on my skin in my eyelashes in my nostrils and I believe in my intestinal tract.

dermdoc19 :

The following measures should be taken: Cleanse your face twice daily with Cerave Cleanser. Avoid oil based cleansers and any think hinting of grease or oil...Demodex loves an oily environment. Exfoliate the skin at least once a day...this makes it harder for them to lodge in your skin. The prescription items which we use to treat this: Permethrin cream apply this at night for 12 hours a week apart. During that week, apply Eurax cream nightly. During the day apply Metrocream twice a day. Your doctor might want to prescribe Metonidazole orally for a week if your infestation is bad. In severe cases, oral Ivermectin may be used.

Customer:

The demodex are on my skin but the wormlike parasites are besides on my face and neck I think they are in my intestinal tract.Can the flow freely through the bloodstream?

dermdoc19 :

They can occur in the eyelashes were they are a major problem, but they do not occur in the nostrils or certainly not in the intestines. They feed on the sebum ( oil) from the sebaceous glands and there are no sebaceous glands in the nostrils or intestines. If somehow one got into the bloodstream it would die.

Customer:

no not the demodex,the parasites. The parasites are the secondary and foremost problem! The doctors keep telling me I have acne which is absolutely not the case!!!! They just keep prescribing antibiotics which has caused more problems for me.

Customer:

How do I get them to listen? Or is there a naturopathic alternative?

Customer:

I have seen the disease specialist and she refered me to a dermatologist who took a one second look with a magnifying glass and said that I did't have parasites and that was 9 monthes ago! Since then and on all the antibiotics I have become much worse and more apparent that they are parasites.But , I was treated as if I had morgellons disease! and they shrugged and offered a psyciatrist!

dermdoc19 :

You can try Tea Tree Oil. There are reports of this working for Demodex.

Customer:

Tea tree oil burns my skin

Customer:

I have very sensitive skin

Customer:

Can it be diluted and with what?

Customer:

Do you think Seabuckthorn oil could work? Or neem or emu? I have tried the latter 2

dermdoc19 :

You could try using the tea tree oil soap.

dermdoc19 :

Probably the best thing would be Ivermectin since it kills mites and parasites and is a reasonably safe drug.

Customer:

I have such a problem with tea tree oil that I am afraid to burn my skin I have become sensitive to fragrance and eucalyptus and anything strong

dermdoc19 :

No evidence that Seabuckthorn, neem or emu work. However, I don't know if they have been studied for Demodex either.

dermdoc19 :

If your skin is sensitive it might be best to treat it orally with Metronidazole and if that does not work Ivermectin.

dermdoc19 :

Pilocarpine gel also might work. That is a prescription item.

Customer:

The thing is when I read that the demodex were the primary issue and the parasites follow I thought I have the eye solution for demodex and I put it on my skin where the parasites are beneath the shin that has healed and it seems to help

Customer:

it tends to dry them up and they surface and dry up

Customer:

strange

Customer:

I am getting no help from doctors so how can I get a prescription?

dermdoc19 :

I am very confused about the Demodex are the primary issue and the parasites follow. What parasite?

Customer:

there are worm under my skin they leave tracks and can be pulled out they are from the larval stage all the way to up to 3 inches long sometimes. The demodex are all over my skin on my face ,neck ,eyes,and nostrils.The demodex are like grains of sand that surface and can be seen.If I scrape the surface of my skin there are tons of them.

dermdoc19 :

I would ask to see a physician who specializes in parasitology. There should be one attached to a medical school. Or you can ask the dermatologist you saw. Even if he does not feel you have Demodecosis, he/she might be willing to write you a prescription for it, just in case you have this.The mite is not that hard to find since about 30% in your age group have it.

dermdoc19 :

They may have gotten worse since you saw the dermatologist ( yu said 9 months ago) and much more plentiful now.

Customer:

Is there a special name for this kind of doctor because I don'tknow what else to do and I have been dealing with this on my own.

dermdoc19 :

The dermatologist should be able to find them with ease!

Customer:

OK I give up Because my dermatologist is an idiot!

dermdoc19 :

Parasitologist. However, they are usually attached to a medical school department of microbiology. Sometimes, pathologists know a lot about parasites too.

Customer:

ok Thank You

dermdoc19 :

You're welcome.

dermdoc19 :

If you tell me which city you are near, I might be able to find one for you.

Customer:

I live in the santa clarita valley ,california

Customer:

I am so distraught because I am so severly scarred I don't want to be seen in public

dermdoc19 :

That would be near Stanford right?

Customer:

I am getting no help from my doctors and I am afraid to take drugs that potentially distrou your liver.My sister recently passed away of kidney and liver cancer. I have since had all my blood work and other than this crap I am fine.

Customer:

Stanford ?

dermdoc19 :

I know two excellent physicians at University of Cal SF:

Customer:

No L.A. County

dermdoc19 :

Are you near Sonoma?

Customer:

no

Customer:

los angeles

dermdoc19 :

I know an excellent one there and in SF.

Customer:

where?

dermdoc19 :

Let me get back with you. One of my friends knows the LA area.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Thank You

dermdoc19 :

Would you be near Carson California?

Customer:

No , I am nearer the San Fernando Valley area.

Customer:

I have Kaiser which poses a problem and explains the inferior doctors.

Customer:

I'will check back about 10 pm ,pst.

dermdoc19 :

I was able to talk to a friend of mine who is a patholoigst/parasitoloigst today. He highly recommends Dr. Jerrold Turner. He is an MD/ infectious disease/Parasitologist, one of the tops in the country. His phone number is(###) ###-#### If this does not work out for you let me know.

dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist