Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Why are the corners of my mouth dry, red, sore, and cracked?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
8/1/2011
Dermatologist: doctor_charles, Internal Medicine Doctor replied 6 years ago
doctor_charles
doctor_charles, Internal Medicine Doctor
Hello
Since how long you have this symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests?
I think it began about 2 weeks ago slowly. It started on the right side and now it is on both sides. I feel fine otherwise. I have not been seen by any doctor. I thought it would just go away. Is this serious?
Thanks for the info given.This condition is called angular cheilitis, also know as angular stomatitis or perlèche.The cause is frequent or persistent saliva touching the skin outside the mouth. This can occur because of a poor seal of your lips at the angles of your mouth, braces or because you frequently lick the area. Another common cause is that it can be due to vitamin or iron deficiency.Also there may be a fungal infection also.
Following will help you greatly:Apply an over-the-counter antifungal cream, such as clotrimazole, then a 1 percent topical hydrocortisone ointment an hour later.You can do this two to three times per day. This will help you greatly.Also you need blood tests to see if there is any vitamin or iron deficiency.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests to know the exact cause & treat accordingly.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.
Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.
doctor_charles
Can you give me some names of the medications that I will need so I don't have to ask anyone?
No,without tests exact cause cannot be known & hence the treatment.Like if it is vitamin deficiency, then you will be prescribed with multi vitamins.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests to know the exact cause & treat accordingly.
doctor_charles
doctor_charles
doctor_charles