dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have these clear pocket of fluid that come up under the

I have these clear pocket of fluid that come up under the skin of my fingertips. The occasionally burst and the area becomes bumpy and seeps this fluid. The entire area is very itchy when it errupts. What can this be?
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

This is called Pompholyx or Dyshydrotic eczema.

dermdoc19 :

Formerly this was felt to be from a malfunctioning of the sweating apparatus. It certainly is more prevalent in the summer when people are sweating more. However, current concepts point to skin irritation as being the pre-eminent cause

dermdoc19 :

A small does of an oral steroid, such as Prednisone 5 mg. a day is usually sufficient to treat this. Topical steroids such as Locoid Lipocream or Fluticasone are also helpful. A hand cream such as Eucerin Hand Cream is an adjuvant treatment to these.

dermdoc19 :

For more severe outbreaks, Dome Boro compresses are a source of relief from the itching, decrease bacterial contamination and help dry the area.

Customer:

I just wondered. They are always present under the skin and very samll, like tiny points of a sewing needle. If they are broken (like when I'm gardening without gloves) or if I work with oil or some harsh chemical it gets inflamed and the inflammation spreads to other areas.

dermdoc19 :

Many patients require oral antibiotics, though there is usually not a true infection. Interestingly, smoking is increased in this conditions.

Customer:

It is almost like poison Ivy, since contact with the fluid causes new inflammation

Customer:

Wow, smoking?? It was so much worse before I quit...

dermdoc19 :

I have to step out but will return...

dermdoc19 :

For OTC medications, you can try Maximum Strength Cortaid ointment or Cortizone 10 ointment along with Eucerin Plus Intensive Hand Repair Cream. Use Cortaid twice a day and the Hand Repair Cream three to four times a day. Try to avoid harsh chemicals and detergents. Wear vinyl or plastic gloves if doing the dishes and white cotton gloves when dusting or light housework. These can be obtained through Allerderm

dermdoc19 :

Sometimes, if the problem persists, patch testing to determine any possible allergies would be in order. However, this problem is usually caused by an irritant contact dermatitis, rather than a true allergy.

dermdoc19 :

Avoid hand sanitizers too. Use a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil Restoraderm or Cerave.

Customer:

thanks for the info

dermdoc19 :

I hope that helps. This is a pretty common thing nowadays. I am seeing about a case a day.

Customer:

I keep trying to accept, but no good so far

dermdoc19 :

Sorry, thank you for the ACCEPT

dermdoc19 :

It should work now.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks!

You're welcome