Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have a soft, slightly raised bump on my lip and I am

Customer Question
trying to identify what it...
I have a soft, slightly raised bump on my lip and I am trying to identify what it is. I have some good pictures available, if the system allows me to add them.
Facts are:
The bump is very slightly raised
It is not hard in any way. I can not feel it with my tongue and the skin on it is perfectly smooth
The question is what is this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
7/2/2011
Dermatologist: dermdoc19, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Would be happy to view the photos. You can send to Just Answer by clicking on the paper clip icon and uploading. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

ok need a few mins...

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

ok two are up... you will likely need all 3 to see what I am talking about

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

The spot I am trying to identify is between my two front teeth right at the top where my lips turn to skin

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Let me know when you see it

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Pictures are high res

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Feel free to zoom in

dermdoc19 :

The pictures have not appeared yet.

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

hmm... working...

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Can you still see that or did you see the pic?

dermdoc19 :

Nothing.

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

ok on more time

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :
JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

ahhh

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Thats how it works

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

ok others comming

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :
JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :
JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

ok there they are

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

You should be able to see the picts at this point

dermdoc19 :

Thank you. I can see the pictures now. We are not talking about the slight pigmented spot, but something next to it?

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

yup

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

You can see a slight black dot. I'm not concerned about that unless there is something I should know

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Its the bump to the left I am interested in

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

You there?

dermdoc19 :

Sorry, answering another question too.

dermdoc19 :

This appears to be a mucous cyst. This occurs when the duct of the mucous gland is plugged. This can happen with trauma, or eating a hot food.

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

hmmm interesting...

dermdoc19 :

You can see if you can take the swelling down with warm compresses. Do this for 15 minutes, three times a day. If this does not go down after 10 days, I would consult with your dermatologist or family physician.

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Ok, and you are referring to the pinkish white bump to the bottom left of the black spot right?

dermdoc19 :

Yes, I could only see it well on the middle picture though.

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Would any additional pictures help you to verify your findings... I have some others

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

There doesn't seem to be any fluid in the bump. Would that change anything?

dermdoc19 :

Perhaps, a picture at an angle would help.

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

My main concern is this is not a wart... comments?

dermdoc19 :

It does not look like a wart. Happy to look at more pictures to verify this.

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Thank you... working

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

still working...

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

testing...

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

ok the page is giving me some trouble...

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :
JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :
JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :
JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Ok here are some new ones... Any information that I can provide you on the "bump"?

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

Its completely painless

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

very flexible like normal tissue

JACUSTOMER-mm2de2x1- :

The other thing I noticed that is when I strech out my lips, I can see the little white dots under it and they look just like my upper lip where it turns to plain skin

dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist