Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Is it possible to have shingles all over your body instead

Customer Question
of just one side, or...
Is it possible to have shingles all over your body instead of just one side, or could it be another rash with shingles-like symptons?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2011
Dermatologist: dermdoc19, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
dermdoc19 : Hello
Customer:

hello

dermdoc19 : Generalized zoster can develop on the whole body. However this can be other things. A photograph will help. Do you have any other health issues. Thank you.
Customer:

Diverticulitis. Intestinal obstructions. Stressful work. I can email a photo if I have a little time.

Customer:

Also allergic to contact with mango skin and leaves, and poisonwood, which is prevalent here. But they have been more localized rashes.

Customer:

Do you need more information?

dermdoc19 :

Can you describe the lesions. Are they small waqter bumps (vesicles). Do they hurt or itch? Do you have a history of chicken pox or shingles?

Customer:

I had chicken pox as a child. The rash is red blotches and small raised bumps, loosely clumped. They do not look like blisters. They sting greatly and itch. I have had a shingles vaccination.

Customer:

The rash is on both arms, both legs, chest, and back. Not on my head.

dermdoc19 :

Are you on any medications?

Customer:

Same medications for several years - Atacand, prevacid, wellbutrin, estradiol, aygestin, zetia, endocet (for back problems).

dermdoc19 :

No chills, fever, or other symptoms.

dermdoc19 :

Sorry, the above should have had a question mark at the end (?).

Customer:

Yes, fever (not literally fever, but very hot) and chills. Some intestinal pain.

Customer:

Also so miserable I can't sleep. Will have to try again pretty soon.

dermdoc19 :

I doubt whether this is generalized zoster. Although the vaccine does not protect anywhere near 100% from getting shingles, it does ameliorate the condition. This makes it quite unlikely that you would have the severe outbreak that you would get from generalized zoster. Besides you do not describe vesicles, with generalized zoster you should have some of those. My impression is that this is a drug eruption (allergies). Even if you have been on a medication for years it is still possible to develop an allergic drug reaction. There are a number of drugs you are taking which can cause this. An antihistamine such as Benedryl 25 mg. will help you fall asleep and help with the rash. I would take this, and apply Sarna Lotion or Prax Lotion for symptomatic relief of the rash. A photograph of the rash would help me.

Customer:

Benadryl hasn't helped. Will send a photo tomorrow. Will try to get some sleep now. Can I "exit and save" and get back with you tomorrow?

dermdoc19 :

Sure. You can hit the save and exit. Hope you can get some sleep.

Customer:

Thanks for your help to this point.

dermdoc19 :

Let me know if you can send a photograph?

dermdoc19 :

There are a few generalized eruptions such as generalized granuloma annulare, generalized lichen planus and various viral and bacterial infections, but none fit your description as well as a drug eruption. Has the rash changed?

Customer:

After worsening over the past week it has improved greatly since last night. Still unpleasant but much better. Today I bumped into a friend who is a physician and he also believes it is an allergy, as you suggested, so for now I'll just see how it goes for the next day or so. Thanks very much for your help.

dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist