dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I cut a mole on my face shaving. should i be scared?

i cut a mole on my face shaving. should i be scared?
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Not necessarily. If you definitely cut it, it should be OK. If it was friable ( ready to fall apart) or had bled before hand, this should be of concern.

dermdoc19 :

Was the exam your dermatologist performed done just with visual eye inspection or done with a dermatoscope?

Customer:

no, the mole had been there before and was no concern. the exam was in February and was done by eye. i cut it this evening shaving and it bled for a little bit but scabbed over. im just a worrier by nature. i called my dermatologist and they are closed until Monday so i know this is gonna bother me. should i be concerned and should i see my Dr ASAP?

dermdoc19 :

No, I see no need to panic. Waiting until Monday should be fine. I would let your dermatologist take a quick peek at the mole. As long as you had a good reason for it to bleed it most likely will be OK. I think it is a good idea to have it checked but see no need to panic. Through the years (30!), I have had occasional patients come in with a similar complaint. Sometimes, I have performed a biopsy: nothing has ever come out bad.

Customer:

so im just being paranoid?

dermdoc19 :

I certainly think it is reasonable to have it checked out. It is pretty much dogmatic for us to encourage that. However, I would wait the few days so that your dermatologist can give you the re-assurance that a regular doctor might not. I would not say you are being if you schedule an appt. for Monday, but I would not be overly worried at this point.

Customer:

great thanks so much. very relieved. i appreciate your help!

dermdoc19 :

You're welcome. You should do fine.