dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

White bumps on the upper ears

My 8 year old son has multiple little raised white bumps on his upper ears (both sides). There is no indention in the bump; it does not hurt or look hot/inflamed. These bumps appeared with 1 on each side and then 12-15 bumps on each upper ear (the fleshy part at the very top of the ear).

Note:  We live in the midwest and do have a cat.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Would you be able to forward a photograph? To do this you would click on the paper clip icon and upload. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

Yes, let me work on that now.

dermdoc19 :

Good.

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :
JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :
JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :
JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

Are these enough or would you like a different picture? I am noticing that they have changed a bit since this morning and are going down the earlobe.

dermdoc19 :

That is probably adequate. These are coming up all of a sudden? Does he have any medical problems? Any family history of high triglycerides? Gout?

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

Yes, within the last 3-4 days. The first day, I simply thought it was a heat rash or no big deal. Then the bumps got more and bigger. There is no history of any problems in the past. He has had chicken pox (when he was 1). He is overall a healthy boy with lots of spunk :)

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

No weird family history either. I have questioned if he has very slight allergies -- his skin seems more sensitive. He did have what was called "baby warts" on his tummy when he was 3--they just went away on their own.

dermdoc19 :

They are somewhat suggestive of Molluscum Contagiousm which could come up rather suddenly, but you say there is no indentation.

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

They have flattened since this morning, and have gone from white to a little yellow. They are not "pussy" at all and seem to be staying completely beneath the skin. Are there commonly other symptoms with what you are considering?

dermdoc19 :

It does not impress me as infectious you. They seem more infiltrative which would suggest gouty tophi or xanthomas. Pretty unusual. Most of my textbooks are at my office ( all my pediatric dermatology textbooks) so it may be best if I get back to you tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

I looked up pictures of the molluscum contagiousm and this doesn't look like his ears. It looks more like what he had on his tummy years ago.

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

ok. Just let me know. Thanks for your help.

dermdoc19 :

I agree. The pictures do not look like MC but I thought I might be missing something.

dermdoc19 :

Let me know if there are changes tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

cat scratch disease?

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :
JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :
JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

This morning. . .looks like healing on "old" ones with more white around each bump. There are smaller new ones on ear lobes though.

dermdoc19 :

No, it does not look like cat scratch disease. Did he have blistering or water bumps on these places?

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

no blistering or water bumps

dermdoc19 :

I checked some of my books today and nothing totally fits. I have a feeling that this is one of those entities that once you have seen a case, it all comes together. My suggestion would be for him to consult with a dermatologist for a biopsy. I am gong to opt out to see whether on of the other dermatologists who answer questions on this site. If you do not have an answer by Tuesday, I can bring his picture to one of dermatology meetings and get some other opinions. Sorry I could not be more of a help.

dermdoc19 :

One entity that I more or less dismissed when you said that there was no blistering or real symptoms is something called Juvenile Spring Eruption. I was discussing this with a colleague who felt you did not need blisters to make this diagnosis. This usually occurs in young boys and, as its moniker implies, happens in the Spring. It is usually treated with strong steroids such as Clobetesol.

JACUSTOMER-c7dkkinb- :

Ok, thank you for your help. On another note, his brothers friend has it on his elbows, however they haven't seen one another for several weeks??? Thanks again.