dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a small lump under my skin on my upper thigh

Customer Question

I have a small lump under my skin on my upper thigh it doesn't hurt unless I push on it several times. I am healthy, no history of anything and wondered what it might be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.

Would you be able to forward a photograph? Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-hqhcrr6b- :

NO. I do not have photograph

dermdoc19 :

Does it have a small pore in the center? What color is it? Is it soft, semi-firm or hard?

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, perhaps, you can help me narrow the possibilities down by answering a few questions: On careful inspection, does the lump have a central "pore". Is it firm, semi-firm or soft? Is there any redness around the lump? What color is it? By small, would you say it is smaller than a dime? Has any fluid come out of it?
Presently, without a photograph, the possibilities are too broad to give an answer, but answering the above would certainly help.
Thank you.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
I can give you some thoughts of what it might be: a follicular or "sebaceous cyst" (would often have a "pore"; a lipoma a soft fatty tumor: a dermatofibroma; an abscess; a foreign body reaction: an insect bite reaction and keratoacanthoma. There would be others too.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The lump is under the skin, you can't see it. In fact is is very hard to find. I only found it by pushing on my leg when applying lotion. In fact I can't find it sometimes. It is very small, pea size. it is firm. I was at the derm. a few weeks ago for skin exam (everything fine) but didn't know it then. I think I have had it for a long time, I can remember feeling it along time ago
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
If you squeeze the skin around it does it "dimple"? You might google "dimple" sign.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, you can't sqeeze it
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
Does ikt feel round, like a little ball?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it feels long like a muscle fiber
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
This is a strange question: if you stroke it, does it ripple at all. There is a small lump called a leimyoma of the skin made of small muscle tissue. It is derived from smooth muscle. It will ripple slightly f stroked.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it has a slight red bump on top no ripple
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
One last question (maybe): Is the red, even colored, or is it slightly brown or white in the center?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, just generally red. I don't feel it standing only when sitting and I really have to push to feel it
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.

The only thing I can think of would be a dermatofibroma or a collagenous fibroma or just a reactive process ( perhaps to trauma). See if any of these fit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you. you have been helpful.