Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

White Spots On Legs And Arms

Customer Question
I have little white spots...

I have little white spots on my legs and arms. I'd like to know what this is and if there is anything that can be done for it.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
5/3/2011
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Can you take a photograph of these white spots?

Yes

Great! Then please take a few photos and upload them to the question box using the paper clip icon.

Thank you for the photograph. How long have you had these white spots? Do they ever have scaling on top or itch?
I've had them for several years (may be 4 or 5 years). No they do not scale or itch.

Thank you for the information. The white spots you have are called Idiopathic Guttate Hypomelanosis (IGH). This is a harmless age related change and usually starts in a person's 50's and is commonest over the limbs. The number of spots stabilize after a few years and the condition is non progressive. No treatment is required.
However if treatment is desired on cosmetic grounds then the only thing that really works is Topical PUVA or PUVA therapy which involves exposure to UVA light after applying a topical Psoralen lotion. 1 % Coal Tar has also worked in some patients. Both these treatments will need to be done under the supervision of a dermatologist.
The fungal infection you were asking about is Pityriasis Versicolor and that does not present like this.
Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask in case you have any queries.

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist