Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have dark hard skin on my elbows, and have since

Customer Question
childhood. How can I remove...
I have dark hard skin on my elbows, and have since childhood. How can I remove it? (I already know about the lemon juice/similar methods.) I am open to all methods including surgery.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dermatology
4/6/2011
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

What is the general color of your skin?
Brown.

I'm Pakistani.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. In that case the pigmentation you have over the elbows is racial and very resistant to treatment. I counsel patients to leave this alone. However if you are very keen on pursuing treatment here is what I would recommend:

Try a cream like Tri-Luma or Melacare Forte or Melalite-XL over the dark area. Any one of these is suitable. The method of application is once at night to be washed off in the morning. Benefit will take 6-8 weeks. If there is none by this time then stop the cream as it is unlikely to be effective.

The next step in treatment would then be combined microdermabrasion and spot peeling. These sessions would need to be repeated 2 weekly and it usually takes 6-12 sessions. Expected benefit is 30-40%.

Lastly for patients who do not respond Fraxel CO2 laser can be tried - however my experience with this has not been great. Both the patients I have treated with this laser for racial hyperpigmentation on the toes have not improved. My colleagues however claim that it has benefited a number of patients though.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist