Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have suffered from an itchy vagina for a couple of years…

Customer Question
I have suffered from an...
I have suffered from an itchy vagina for a couple of years now. Have had about 5 thrush test all came back negative. I do suffer from sensitive skin and had eczema as a child. I saw a gynocologist and she said it was eczema do you agree with this? If so what creams can I try & is there anything else I can do to reduce the itchyness? I currently use the qv body wash and wash my clothes in a sensitive skin product. Any help would be a great relief.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dermatology
4/3/2011
Dermatologist: dermdoc19, Dermatologist replied 7 years ago
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

I would recommend a visit to a dermatologist. As a former Gyn resident, there is a tendency, at least in US training programs, to treat the whole female. In other words, handle thyroid problems, hypertension problems, skin problems. It is considered a weakness, in some ways to refer to others. Thus, when we see gynecology patients, their skin problem is often further along than they need to be.

dermdoc19 :

I am assuming you are inquiring about the labial and peri-labial area and not the vagina itself.

Customer:

yes

dermdoc19 :

You are doing the correct thing by washing in clothes for sensitive skin. I would also avoid bleach and fabric softeners. You might see if any colors make this worse. Typically blue or purple dyes.

Customer:

one of my doctors said that not all dermatologist deal with that area. Is this true? and how do I find a good dermatologist

dermdoc19 :

You should cleanse the whole body with a wash, or bar and not a true soap. Cetaphil's Restoraderm is very good as is Cerave Cleanser. If you want to use one of these in the groin area and Dove bar for your general skin, that is fine too.

dermdoc19 :

If it is skin, we deal with it. The skin in that area is not that much different from elsewhere. As mentioned, I would not deal with vaginal issues, although there are some dermatologists who deal with both. If the rash does not clear up, with gyn treatment, I would suggest asking the gynecologist for a recommendation.

Customer:

are there any creams I can try before seeing a dermatologist or are they all prescibed

dermdoc19 :

You can use a weak steroid such as Maxilmum Strength Cortaid ointment. This is OTC and you can apply this twice a day. Since you were already treated for thrush, it is unlikely that you are dealing with a fungus/yeast.

dermdoc19 :

An ointment would be preferred.

Customer:

why an ointment?

dermdoc19 :

One trick in treating this area, is that it can become super-sensitive. At that time, it is prudent to avoid all topicals and place the patient on a low dose oral steroid.

dermdoc19 :

Ointments are oil based rather than water based, which means that there are less chemicals in them. Preservatives are needed for water based products since bacteria can grow in water much easier than oil.

dermdoc19 :

Another thing. Avoid products that are designed for vaginal itching as they may contain lidocaine. Many women are allergic to topical lidocaine (or any caines). This can perpetuate an itch.

dermdoc19 :

Oh by the way, I agree that it is probably eczema.

Customer:

thanks very much for your time and the info. Will look into seeing a dermatologist

dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist