Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

What would make your whole body itch?

Customer Question
what would make your whole body itch?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
3/24/2011
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

How long have you had the itch?

Is it worse in the evenings?

Is there any rash?

Have you noticed any hives?

Does anyone living with you have itching as well?
it has been going on for a couple of days, i itch all the time , no rashes or hives and no one else is itching
Okay. Is your skin very dry? Are you prone to allergies?

Do you have any significant medical history and if so are you on any prescription drugs?
skin is dry, has some allergies, but not skin related, is taking singular , zytrec, nerroten, birth control, and paxil
Thank you for the information. What molecule does Nerroten contain? Have you started any of these drugs within the last 2-4 weeks - if so which one?
have not started any new meds in the last 2-4 weeks and i have no idea molecule nerroten has in it.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. I think we can safely rule out any drug induced itching since none correlate with the onset of the itching.

You may have either Asteatotic Eczema or simply Xerosis of skin associated with itching. Asteatotic Eczema lacks any of the usual eczema features and is caused due to decreased lipid content in the skin. Xerosis of the skin is the first stage of asteatotic eczema and not as itchy. Here is what will help:

1. Jergens Naturals Ultra Hydrating Daily Moisturizer applied three to four times a day - under wet wrapping of bandage at night over the limbs if possible. Mix Fucibet or 1% Cortizone cream with the morning and night time application of the moisturizer.

Once the dryness subsides gradually taper Fucibet cream - once at night for 1-2 weeks and then alternate day and so forth.

3. Tab Atarax 25 mg thrice a day. Atarax may require a prescription, you can use Tab Claritin 10-20 mg twice a day instead.

4. Neutrogena body oil once or twice a day is also very beneficial,particularly after bathing.

5. Stop using soaps - use a soap free cleanser like Nivea soap free body wash or Elovera body wash instead. Bath oils are also helpful.

6. Omega-3 fatty acid capsules - take one morning and evening after meals.

7. As far as possible try not to scratch as this leads to more itching.
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist