Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I get this very weird blisters on the soles of my feet, at

Customer Question
first I can see the...
I get this very weird blisters on the soles of my feet, at first I can see the skin underneath go a little bit darker in color, it hardens and then pops open. When the blister opens up, it looks like dead skincells. At first I only had it mildly and now my feet are covered in them. I have tried Usol, Lamisol and Cordizone ointments but to now avail! Please could you give me advice
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
1/31/2011
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

How big are these blisters? Are there any present on the sides of the toes?
They differ is size, but mostly 2 to 3 mm in diameter, I do sometimes get them on the sides of my toes. Have recently started getting them on my hands as well. It is not itchy at all. First I thought it might be Planters Wharts but the GP has confirmed that it is not. Sometimes they even go under my nails
Can you take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience? I'm surprised that there is no itching, hence want to take a look.
Have you received the picture in good order?
Thank you for the photograph. It is quite blurred though - the lesions actually seem to contain pus - is this accurate? And there is redness and thickening of skin visible as well - have you noticed this?
Redness and thickening but no pus, when it opens up it is just dead skin. Would you like me to try and take a new picture. Like I said I think it is contageos for I am now getting them on my hands as well
please, a clearer picture would be helpful. I'm going offline for about 20 min but will be back.
I have added this picture, I think it is clearer
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the photograph, yes it is much clearer and confirms what I was suspecting. You have something called Palmoplantar Putulosis (PPP). This is a variant of Psoriasis which is a condition where the body loses control of normal skin formation in certain areas. It is not contagious. Here is information on PPP -

http://www.dermnetnz.org/scaly/palmoplantar-pustulosis.html

This condition is best treated with prescription drugs like clobetasol cream, daivobet ointment and/or oral acitretin and light therapy (PUVA). However if you cannot see a doctor in the near future here is an over the counter regimen that you could try:

1. Cortizone cream + Mg 217 sal-acid ointment twice a day (morning & evening) over the affected areas (The salicylic acid will help loosen the scales.)

2. Triton Mg 217 intensive strength medicated tar ointment: apply over skin lesions once at night. Wash off in the morning. Can stain clothing so appropriate precautions should be taken.

3. Balnetar Therapeutic Tar Bath: Add to tub of water as directed on the bottle - soak in tub for 15-20 minutes. If this is not possible then use soapworks coal tar soap bar and leave lather on for 5 minutes. Product does not smell very good and will stain clothing but is effective.

4. Omega-3 fatty acid capsules - 2 in the morning & 2 at night after meals. Use this only if he has no heart problems.

5. Cap Lumitene 30 mg twice a day. This is an excellent antioxidant.

Hope this information is useful!
Will I be able to get this treatment in South Africa?

I don't see why not. You may not get the same brand names that I mentioned though so here are the generic names - Cortizone cream is 1% Hydrocortisone, Mg 217 sal-acid ointment is 6 or 12% salicylic acid ointment, Triton Mg 217 intensive strength medicated tar ointment is 4% coal tar, Balnetar Therapeutic Tar Bath is a coal tar liquid soap, Lumitene is Beta Carotene and Omega-3 fatty acid is as such. Regards!

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Hi there, I have accepted your answer and you prescribed some medication that I can use. Went to the chemist last night and he informed me that the stuff you prescribed is not available in South Africa?
Hi again,

Since this is a worldwide site and I practice in India its hard to be sure of what is available in which country. But I will be very surprised if indeed the drugs I've mentioned are not available in South Africa since these are very commonly used in dermatology. If your chemist can tell you what stuff is available as substitutes then I can help you choose. Or else if you have a family doctor he/she will be able to tell you the local trade names of the stuff I had mentioned.
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist