Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have itchy, red bumps in random places on my body unknown

Customer Question
source. They have a small...
I have itchy, red bumps in random places on my body unknown source. They have a small white middle, don't drain any fluid if opened by scratching. I have 2 on my neck, 2 on one arm, 3 on my stomach, 2 on my back, 3 on one leg, 2 on back of other leg. They are very itchy. Have been putting benedryl cream on them only helps a little. My husband has a few on his stomach. My daughter has 3 on her stomach and 2 on her neck. She just got the 3 on her stomach today, neck ones have been there for 4-5 days. My bumps have been there for more than a week, the old ones don't itch and have no raised middle. The new ones are very itchy. I am getting 2 to 3 new ones every day. I have had the same thing about 1 year and a half ago, thought they were flea bites from my dog but in the same areas so didn't make sense. They took about 3 weeks to fully go away. I don't notice anything biting me the bumps just seem to appear. We live in Southern California so don't have mosquitos. Doesn't look like any other type of bite I have had in the past. Have had no exposure to poison ivy or other plants. I did the complete bed cleaning and vacuuming of our mattress and box spring just in cases it was bed bugs, but did not see any evidence of them.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
1/24/2011
Dermatologist: Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist
The two common conditions to be considered when multiple members of the family are involved is Scabies and Papular Urticaria which is an insect bite reaction.Papular urticaria are usually on the exposed sites.Scabies is characterized by nocturnal itching .Yet another condition to be considered is Cimicosis which is bed bug bites.Suggest Permethrin cream 5% all over body below neck and wash off after 12 hours.All members to be treated simultaneously.Repeat application after 2 weeks.From Day 2 apply 1% hydrocortisone cream twice daily for 2 weeks along with oral claritin 10 mg daily for 2 weeks.Thanks.Queries welcome.
Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist
We have thought of that but why would we all of a sudden get bites when we haven't been anywhere and have the same bed linens and mattresses we have had for years. Do they lay dormant for a year? last time it happened they just went away and no one else in the family got them. Thanks I think I will follow up with a dermatologist to see the marks and maybe do a skin test.
Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist