Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

i keep getting these small red spots on the head of my penis,

i keep getting these small red spots on the head of my penis, no itch or pain , it just comes and goes , mostly after sex or washing my penis , help ?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.

Does your partner have any vaginal discharge?

How long do the spots last when they appear? How big is the average size?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no my partner does not have any vaginal discharge, i being getting these spots about two months,and they dissappear in about 12hrs - 24hrs .

the average size is apox.1cm or less

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Have you ever noticed any tiny fluid or pus filled lesions on the head of the penis along with these spots?

Any personal history of diabetes?

Any burning while passing urine when these spots appear?

When these spots subside do they leave any mark?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no history of diabetes,no burning,they leave no marks and no pus or fluid ,sometimes there is a creXXXXX XXXXXish film on the head during the presence of the spots but goes away along with the spots after washing .

I noticed after i masterbate and shower, the spots, when touching the area it feels raw ,like no skin is there, the next morning the creXXXXX XXXXXish flim is there with the spots and when cleaned, the whole head is brightest red but by a day or so ,its all gone

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. One of the commonest causes of symptoms such as yours - candidal balanoposthitis - is ruled out since this does not subside so rapidly after appearing. Another cause is allergy to the candida present in the vaginal discharge of the partner but since you have not mentioned any discharge in the partner this is also ruled out. Lastly latex allergy to the latex in condoms is also ruled out since you haven't mentioning symptoms worsening after condom use and your symptoms come on with masturbation as well.

What is left is irritant balanoposthitis. This is an inflammatory reaction of the glans penis and/or surrounding skin to smegma - which is the natural secretion from glands around the glans penis. This is the creamy whitish film you have mentioned. Here is what should help:

Use a bland lubricant during sex. Johnson & Johnson baby oil is a suitable and readily available product. Use this even for masturbating.

When the spots come apply a mixture of 1% Cortizone cream and Bacitracin ointment immediately over the spots - this should take care of them in a few hours.

While bathing avoid using soaps on the penis, instead use a soap free cleanser to gently clean the glans penis and the surrounding skin. This must be done everyday. Apply a moisturizer like cetaphil lotion there immediately after toweling up. Lastly avoid very hot water while bathing as this can again irritate the sensitive skin down there.

All of the above are available over the counter.