Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I haved developed red spots that kind of look like bug bites

Customer Question
around my stomach area. It...
I haved developed red spots that kind of look like bug bites around my stomach area. It started off as what looked like dry skin on my right side rib cage area. It has now developed all over my rib cage, chest, stomach, groin area, and now moving its way down the legs and down the arms. Starting to form small groups.
Any Ideas? It does not itch or at least I don't know it. Pain and itching usally don't bother me. So hard to tell if it itches.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dermatology
10/5/2010
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Can you take a photograph of the rash?
not at this time. The bumps look mildly red, don't itch, and look like dry skin but continue to grow.
Ok no problem. How long have you had this condition? Have you have had any throat infection, flu like symptoms or diarrhea in the last 2-4 weeks?

About 2-3 weeks, no throat issues, and yes some diarrhea that came out of no where about a week ago. It was bad.

I can take a picture and send it via text if possible.

I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. You are most likely suffering from Pityriasis Rosea. This is a harmless self limited skin eruption, however it can take 6-8 weeks to fade completely. It is not infectious and usually does not require any treatment. If treatment is desired then Tab Azithromycin 500 mg once a day for 7 days + Fluticasone propionate lotion over the rash for 10-14 days may shorten its duration and eliminate whatever little itching there is. However both of these will require a prescription. If its not bothering you too much I would advise you to just let it be.
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Sure a picture would be helpful. However email and messaging is against JustAnswer policy. You can upload the picture to the question box by clicking on the tree icon in the question box toolbar. Please note that toolbox this does not display in google chrome and safari.
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist