dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Small clear bumps on finger, am I allergic to something?

Customer Question

small clear bumps on finger, am I allergic to something?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
dermdoc19 :

What portion of the finger?

Customer:

Mainly on the little finger down the left side of the finger/the index finger right side and only on the left hand.

dermdoc19 :

Do they have fluid? What is your occupation? Do the bumps itch? If they itch, how often?

Customer:

Yes they have fluid, I am a General Manager for a Hotel, they itch but not often they go away and come back not so much on the index finger just the little finger.

dermdoc19 :

This is most likely dyshidrotic eczema, sometimes called pompholyx. This condition especially involves the little fingers and the sides of fingers. The old theory was that it was due to a defect in sweating, but most clinicians now feel that it is from irritation on the surface of the skin with trapping of the sweat. It tends to get worse if you are active and sweating.

dermdoc19 :

The first step would to be to avoid possible irritatants. Look around in your daily routine and see what might be irritating your skin. Avoid solvents, detergents, soaps friction and harsh shampoos. I am finding that many people are using sanitizers which are stripping the skin of its protective layer and drying out the skin.

dermdoc19 :

As far as allergies: I usually do not test in initial treatment, but you can have patch tests applied later. Most cases of dyshidrotic eczema are caused by irritation and not allergies. However, rubber products and metals, especially nickel ( anything shiny most likely has nickel used as an alloy) are a big source of allergies as are perfumes, preservatives and fragrances. Foods such as tomatoes, strawberries and handling fish. Be sure not to use Bacitracin, or Neosporin.

dermdoc19 :

If your csse becomes severe soaks in Dome-boro solution can help. Some people like Postassium permanganete but this has fallen out of favor. A mild steroid such as Cort-aid, applied throughout the day may help. Cerave moisturizer and cleanser is a good, inexpensive OTC product as is Curel or Cutemol. Make sure you do not keep your hands in water for prolonged periods. Have some else do the dishes but if you must do the dishes, wear plastic ( not latex or playtex) gloves.

dermdoc19 :

Do you have eczema or psoriasis, either you or in your family?

Customer:

Could this come from an allergic reaction to a hand lotion you are right about the shampoo, I was using a medicated shampoo for itchy scalp but I no longer use it. Also, if this was on my feet I would probably thing it was athlete’s feet.

Customer:

yes some of members of my family have psoriasis.

dermdoc19 :

That brings up a point. We dermatologists are trained to ask about the feet. An "id" reaction is when a rash occurs on one area such as the feet and causes other areas to break out. Sometimes athlete's foot can do this. That is, athlete's feet can cause the hands to break out. I have had patients whose athlete's feet were treated and the hands got better without treatment.

dermdoc19 :

The psoriasis is interesting since that brings out another possiblity. I personally had symptoms like yours and then broke out with full blown psoriasis. You might look for any thickened skin on elbows, knees or knuckles or sides of the palms.

dermdoc19 :

As far as shampoo. DHS Clear and Free and Clear are both very good shampoos. Non-irritating.

dermdoc19 :

If the condition gets bad, steroids shots or pills help and will clear it quickly, but this should only be done once or twice.

dermdoc19 :

Smoking incidentally has been linked to this problem. Interestingly, smoking is not linked to too many other skin problems, but definitely this one.

dermdoc19 :

Vectical is a good non-steroid Vitamin D based product that has worked well. I personally prescribe a short course of a stronger steroid followed by Vectical. I also like Tetrix or Epiceram but these are RX products. Bag Balm helps sometimes and Norweg***** *****d Formula by Neutragena. .

dermdoc19 :

By the way, we have a show on blogtalkradio.com in which we discuss this sort of thing' our show is "All About Skin Care"

Customer:

Thank you I will try the web site.