Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a spot on my arm, about an eighth inch in diameter,

that is slightly red, and...
I have a spot on my arm, about an eighth inch in diameter, that is slightly red, and not usually noticeable. It looks almost like a scar. But, if anything rubs against it it becomes extremely itchy. If I proceed to scratch it, even a little, it become a raised bump, which can blister, or gets scaley and bleed. It's been there about 5 years, and has't changed in size that I can tell. I need to know what it is, and if I need to get rid of it/how.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/8/2010
Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist
This is localised mastocytosis and the phenomenon which you observe on rubbing is the Darier's sign.This is due to accumulation of mast cells and release of histamine.Please visit a dermatologist and get a biopsy done.
Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist