Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a severe skin disoreder that can be debiltating. I…

Customer Question
I have a severe skin...
I have a severe skin disoreder that can be debiltating. I have been to a dermotologist and my OB/GYN. I was diagnosed with anxiety related dermatitis. I believe the diagnosis was based on previous records and not through the rule out process. It has been suggested to me that I may have Autoimmune Progesterine Dermatitus which is a rare condition and difficult to diagnose.
My skin is so irratated and feels as if it is burning mostly my arms, neck and crotch area. I get little blisters or pimple like lesions on my arms, neck , and noticed I got one on my genital area that really itched and hurt. I am diagnosed with HPV and do take medication for depression and ADHD.
It is so bad that I can't stand it and it makes it hard to concentrate or function and really upsets me because I get know relief. In the meantime my arms look terrible and the face breakouts have increased. Can you help and guide me in the right direction?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/29/2010
Dermatologist: Dr. Lori, Family Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Family Physician

Jeni--

Yes, this is a VERY rare condition with only 50 reported cases. There isn't much to go on, but the artcle I amattaching explains all the screening questions, and different forms of therapy, if in fact this is what you have.

Therapy is aimed at treating the skin, which is not successful.

Therapy that is aimed at blocking the body's production of progesterone seems to be what works best.

These are antiestrogen drugs, danazol and high dose steroids.

To do this, you need to be in the care of a derm and Gyne at a university setting.

Look at this article, and register if you must at the site. I will cut and paste some info in case you cannot get access.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/712365_6

Diagnostic Screening

When a patient presents with signs and symptoms suggestive of APD, it is extremely important to obtain a thorough history. Pertinent questions are extremely important:

1. How often do symptoms appear? Monthly, every other month, a few times a year?
  2. Is your menstrual cycle regular or irregular?
  3. When do the symptoms appear related to your menstrual cycle, and when do they resolve?
  4. Have you been treated for this condition in the past? Did it relieve the symptoms?
  5. Have you ever taken birth control pills or any medications related to female infertility?
  6. Did you have any symptoms during pregnancy?

These patients may have suffered with this condition for many years, and thought it was a normal manifestation of menstruation. Obtaining a detailed gynecological history will provide data on which to base a probable diagnosis.

Autoimmune Progesterone Dermatitis and the Menstrual Cycle

In a small group of women, the menstrual cycle has been associated with the spectrum of dermatologic diseases including eczema, erythema multiforme, folliculitis, angioedema, urticaria, and others (Baptist & Baldwin, 2004). The lesions may appear as typical urticaria or erythema multiforme in various stages of healing. The lesions may be present in the oral mucosa, lips, palms of hands, trunk, or feet. The patient may describe pruritus, severe pain (especially oral lesions), or angioedema.

Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis is usually considered an auto-allergic (autoimmune) reaction to endogenous progesterone. Some cases have reported women affected by premature ovarian failure (menopause prior to the age of 40) with synthesis of antiprogesterone antibodies. The age of onset is variable, with the youngest reported case occurring at menarche, but the initiation of the disease may be as late as 48 years of age. Risk factors for APD include fertile women with previous history of exogenous progesterone intake, sometimes in association with pregnancy. Erythema-multiforme, urticaria, and eczematous lesions are the most common findings which occur a few days prior to menses with the post ovulation rise in progesterone and end at the beginning of menstruation (Cristaudo et al., 2007). The hallmarks for diagnosis are premenstrual flare, reproducibility of rash with intramuscular progesterone, and prevention of rash with inhibition of ovulation (Warin, 2001).

TREATMENTS

Evidence shows that various possible treatments exist for the different types of progesterone sensitivity. Symptomotology varies in each case, requiring separate courses of treatment according to the level of manifestation of progesterone sensitivity (Snyder & Krishnaswamy, 2003). Definitive treatment of APD involves using anovulatory agents to suppress progesterone secretion. In mild cases, the skin eruptions may be controlled with topical steroids and oral histamines, but is sometimes resistant to this conventional therapy (Baptist & Baldwin, 2004). Systemic glucocorticoids in high doses have been reported to control the cutaneous lesions of APD, but not in all studies. Although symptom relief has been attained with the use of systemic corticosteroids, the goal of treatment is to inhibit the secretion of endogenous progesterone by suppression of ovulation (Rodenas et al., 1998).

The 17-a-alkylated steroids such as danazol or the later generation stanozolol have been used to suppress ovulation in simple dermatologic cases. This can be complicated by elevations in liver function tests (Baptist & Baldwin, 2004). Severe cases of APD have been treated prohylactically with danazol before the expected onset of menses and continued 3 days after menses ended (Snyder & Krishnaswamy, 2003). By using this treatment regimen, there was no interference with the menstrual cycle, and the adverse effects (elevated liver function tests and masculine side effects) with danazol are avoided.

Tamoxifen, a nonsteriodal anti-estrogen agent, has also been used as a treatment modality, which has induced remission of APD. Side effects include amenorrhea and negative bone metabolism effects (Snyder & Krishnaswamy, 2003). Tamoxifen has also been associated with increased risk of deep vein thrombosis and cataract formation. Conjugated estrogens have also been used in the treatment of APD. Some improvement has been shown, although this required high doses (Baptist & Baldwin, 2004). This treatment is not commonly used today due to the increased risk of endometrial carcinoma.

Different gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH)/LH - RH) agonists such as buserelin and triptore have also been used to induce remission by causing ovarian suppression (Baptist & Baldwin, 2004). Side effects include symptoms of estrogen deficiency (hot flashes, vaginal dryness, decreased bone mineral density), so estrogen supplements may be necessary. The negative effects of GnRH therapy are its expense and that estrogen supplementation is often necessary. For patients in whom these conservative therapeutic measures do not control the disease, definitive treatment appears to be surgical management with oophorectomy (Snyder & Krishnaswamy, 2003).

All in all- it seems ther drug Danazol has the best response, but you want to make sure this is what you have--

The scientists best known for this work, and the one who wrote the article is:

Authors and Disclosures

Tami Maguire

Tami Maguire, ARNP, is ER Team Leader, Lakeland Regional Medical Center, Lakeland, FL

If you are thought to have APD, I would contact this provider and start a conversation....

Or your doctors can......

Best of Luck,

This is RARE so you want to go to the ONE that knows the most.

Be well and Godspeed.

I am happy to answer other questions, but I do not know about APD until now, and I have not seen any cases. So--- my knowledge is limited.

But I will help in any way I can!

Sincerely-