Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I went in for a Co2 laser for acne scarring about 3 months…

Customer Question
I went in for a...
I went in for a Co2 laser for acne scarring about 3 months ago. Doc prescribed 300 mg doryx daily for 2 weeks and 150mg for another 2 weeks after procedure to avoid possible breakout which could I guess cause infection. He also gave me a cream called Aveene which had antifungal porperties..I guess to avoid infection while skin was peeling. So,about 1 to 2 weeks after the procedure my eyebrow hair was wiping off as i washed my face. The laser did go around the eyebrows, but not directly on. The doc then said it was probably tele effluvium from either stress or trauma to the skin.I've had stress all the time and never lost hair on my eyebrows. He gave me epi cream to reduce possible inflammation...that did nothing. My eyebrows just kept falling out. Went to another Dermatologist for second opinion and he said tele effluvium and didn't see how this procedure could ever cause my eyebrows to fall out. Went back to doc that did the ..he gave me ketaconzole 2% cream to put on eyebrow, but i'm still losing hair. Did antibiotics, antifungal cream, infection from dirty laser.they now sometimes itch and i see lil white head looking dots. help i'm still losing hair.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/29/2010
Dermatologist: Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 8 years ago
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
hello,

are the eyebrow hair falling out to leave a smooth bald patch in that area or there are no visible bald patches?

is there any flaking?
No very visible bald patches. There is minor flakes sometimes if i move eyebrow hair to look in .The areas towards the end of eyebrow are more visible just beacuse that's the the thinnest area of the eyebrow. In that part of the eyebrow you do see areas where hair is missing...i don't know if I would call it a patch because it is sparse. When they first strated falling out they did wipe off very easy.
hello,

it sound like seborrheic dermatitis.

the best treatment to treat it is to apply steroid cream and anti fungal cream over it.

the ketoconazole cream that you are using is fine.

you need to apply mometasone furoate cream once a day to the affected areas for 7 days

if the scalp is affected, washing with nizoral shampoo and then applying betamethasone lotion twice a day will be effective.

also if these creams don't work, elidel cream can be considered for application on affected areas.

you can take oral antihistaminic tablet loratidine 5 mg once daily in the morning for a week.

please feel free to ask me in case you have any queries.

does it at all sound like a fungal infection like tinea?.. not sure the exact name. What do you think cause this? Is it safe to use all the products together? Could the keto cream be the cause of more hair loss? Are streroids safe to use on hair follicles>will it cause more hair loss? How long should i use keto for? Is there a more natural regimen...like tree oil? Is the anti inflammatory cream key to stop the hair loss? Can i use that epi cream non steroidal? do you have advice on how to put the cream on cause it seems i have to glide over and move the hair around in order to get in to the root,i'm trying to be careful with still making sure i'm covering the entire area. Will the the hair grow back I lose 3-8 a day.

hello,

it doesn't sound like tinea, but the ketoconazole cream will take care of it, if it turns out to be so.

it is absolutely safe to use all products together.

ketoconazole wont cause hair loss.

steroid are safe to use on hair follicles.

they will not cause more hair loss.

use ketoconazole for 15 days.

its best to use this treatment now, when it resolves, you can maintain it with tea tree oil.

yes, the treatment i have advised will help in preventing hair loss.

you can just gently rub it over the eyebrow, it will penetrate inside.

the hair will grow back.

regards

Is it okay to use the keta just at night and the epi cream barrier emulsion in the day? or does the keta need to be twice a day? can I use shampoo..head and shoulders on eyebrows? Have you ever heard of this with the eyebrows? Thanks

hello,

yes this condition surely affects the eyebrows.

i have seen a lot of patients of this.

its better to use nizoral cream on the eyebrows.

its okay to use ketoconazole cream only at night.

regards