Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I've developed a tan coloured semi circles beneath both eye,

Customer Question
Hello I've developed a tan coloured...
Hello
I've developed a tan coloured semi circles beneath both eye, one side is slightly more extensive starting just below the end of my eye brow and follows just beneath where you may have eye bags, the other side is more of a single patch.
I am on the contraceptive pill and have heard this can cause this? otherwise I am very fit and healthy with a good diet and always use sun screen. If it is contraceptive related is there any alternatives? And is there any way to prevent it worsening or improving the appearance?
Many thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Dermatologist: Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 8 years ago
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist

hello,

it will be important for me to see a photo of the condition that you are mentioning.

please could you send it to me?

you could use picasa and then send me the link.

i will be able to tell you what exactly do you have after seeing them.

thanks.

regards

http://picasaweb.google.com/117763176658828932745/UntitledAlbum?feat=directlink
Hope this link is ok with regards ***** ***** above.
Regards
Gemma
hello,

i understand that you are referring to the patch below the eye.

such a patch can have a few differential diagnosis:-

1. melasma which could be OCP that is the oral contraceptive related.

2. UV spots due to sun damage.

3. post inflammatory hyperpigmentation which may be following a sunburn.

the best approach is to treat it now, but stopping of oral contraceptive is not advisable now as it may not be melasma.

the treatment is to use triluma cream just for half an hour every night and then wash it off in half an hour, apply only on affected area.

apply it only for a week and then it will have to be evaluated by your dermatologist.

you will also need a prescription for it.

also for the dark circles, you could visit your dermatologist and ask for glycolic peels and microcurrent therapy.

also strivectin sd cream under eyes is very effective for dark circles.

please feel free to ask me in case you have any queries.

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.