Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Is there any treatment of Lichen Sclerosus? I have been

Customer Question
Is there any treatment of...
Is there any treatment of Lichen Sclerosus ? I have been using Tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) 0.1% for last 8-10 months. It shows much improvement with it(although the skin color does not improve ), however the symptoms comes back the moment i stop applying the cream. It is on the foreskin of my penis.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/26/2010
Dermatologist: Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist

The most important treatment in your case would be circumcision.Medical mangagement has its limitations.

Not sure if cicumcision will be able to remove the entire white spoted foreskin. If that does not happen, and it comes back even after circumcision then ?

The reason i am saying this i because the white spot and thickning of skin has been growing eversince it happened, but slowely.

Is there any other way around ?

Since i started applying tacrolimus tube, the white coloration has stopped growing and thickning reduces as long as i continue the ointment.

of course topical steroids like mometasone furoate can be tried.They may be used daily for 3 weeks, then can be tapered to alternate day for another 3 weeks, and then to twice and subsequently once weekly to prevent recurrence.The other treatment which I have found useful is topical calcipotriol.Oral steroids are reserved for extensive lesions and those rapidly producing meatal stenosis.Nevertheless circumcision does play a very important role in the management.

All this is chinese to me. I read all this on internet that this is helpful, thay may help.

Please tell me something which will cure it ? like paracetamol does for fever. Simple!!!

Please try to understand that i am not a doctor. I visited 3 urologist all of them gave me politically correct answers. But i need the right solution. I can see that u have exprience of 17 years, please tell me something which will work.

Thanks

Iam sorry if you did not understand.Mometasone furoate is a steroid cream which has to be applied in the dosage I specified in the earlier reply.(on a tapering basis).This along with circumcision(I reiterate) will help you.

Is this cream more effective than tacrolimus ?

Does it have any side effect ?

What is this steroid ? how is it different from tacrolimus ?

is the name "mometasone furate" enough to purchase the ontment from any medical shop ?

What is the sucess rate you had with this cream ?

Please forgive me if i am asking silly questions...i m just trying to understand the situation.

Thanks

Mometasone furoate is available as Elecom cream.This is a potent steroid and like all steroid creams should not be used indefinitely or indiscriminately, otherwise it will lead to thinning of skin(atrophy).It is better tolerated than Tacrolimus and I have observed upto 80% improvement and patient satisfaction with this molecule.