Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I hope you can help- I have had psoriasis all of my life and…

Customer Question
Hi; I hope you can...
Hi; I hope you can help- I have had psoriasis all of my life and this year, my scalp has exploded and is not getting better, despite topical prescriptions and creams, ointments, oil, vitamin d, ect. I was misdiagnosed with psoriatic arthritis int he winter and Enbrel was approved; the side effect and messed up diagnosis scared me away. My ddermatolgist is now pushing me to start Amevive in August. The side effects frighten me but my scalp is killing me. Any other recomemndations for possible solutions that Amevive? Thanks
Mike D
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/24/2010
Dermatologist: Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 8 years ago
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
hello,

in case you have already tried all the topical medications, you will need to be started on oral agents.

starting amevive is not mandatory , there are quite a few other options which can be started.

you could try either of these :-

1. methotrexate

2. cyclosporin

3. acitretin

these agents have very good efficacy. i have treated a lot of patients with these agents, and have seen very good results.

you will have to start one of these under constant medical supervision, and the choice from these should be left to your doctor, who will do blood tests and make the decision in addition to considering other parameters.

please feel free to ask me in case you have any queries.

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.

thanks for your answer- I am afraid it was not of much help- please delete my credit card number.

Mike D