Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has a very itchy rash that starts with a spot…

Customer Question
My daughter has a very...
My daughter has a very itchy rash that starts with a spot and pretty much covers her whole body in splotches in about an hour or two at the most. It has large red splotches with white areas inside the red that look like blisters because they are raised.
We became aware of the first splotch last night (6/21) about 10:00 and it had covered her body by 11:30. We used a hydrocortizone 1% cream. It didn't seem to be effective. She had a temperature of 100.3, went to sleep and sweated quite a bit, then woke up in the morning without any sign of having had rash.
Early this afternoon it came back and covered her body quickly again. We applied cream, and bought benadryl and the equate version of reactin. When we gave her the benadryl about 5:30pm it worked quickly but the rash came back at about 10:00 tonight. I've given her half a tablet of Reactin and it hasn't given her any relief yet in about a half hour. I'm waiting 'til the last minute before bed to give her the Benadryl.
As well as your opinion as to what this might be, I need to know how close together I can give her the Benadryl and the Reactin.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/23/2010
Dermatologist: Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 8 years ago
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist

hello,

she seems to be having urticaria. its also called hives. its a condition where there are red raised lesions all over the body with lot of itching.

these lesions are of various sizes and shapes and they come and go on their own. they need prompt treatment.

urticaria may be idiopathic or may have a variety of causative factors, there is an exhaustive list available but to tell you the truth its really difficult to pin point one thing.

the best thing to do is to start prompt treatment for immediate relief.

you can give her reactin tablet or syrup.

if she is taking the syrup, she can take 2.5 ml at bedtime.

if taking the tablet, then she needs to take only 2.5 mg at bedtime.

if the rash doesn't clear with this , then she take this dose morning and evening.

she can apply calamine lotion on the rash to soothe it. twice a day till there is a rash

urticaria can be caused by foods, medications, pollen, house dust etc.

avoiding fish, milk, nuts for 15 days would be a good idea and see if it further helps her

please feel free to ask me in case you have any queries.

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.