Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My 5yo Grandson scratches his head til it bleeds and has…

Customer Question
My 5yo Grandson scratches his...
My 5yo Grandson scratches his head til it bleeds and has worn out spots now.
His doctor said he wasn't sure what it could be since 'bugs' are not an issue.
He has said 'just use a certain shampoo' - but that hasn't helped.
The child is going crazy itching and now it's going down to his earlobes and neck.
We cannot find a dermatologist that accepts his 'state' health insurance.
Can you help us at all? Medications?? If we had a name we could ask his doctor to write a prescription. Thank you for any response!
A McClain Middletown, CT **started 4 months ago and is become scabby with some pus but the doctor won't say it's exzema. He is scratching his whole body now but his head looks horrific!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/23/2010
Dermatologist: Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 8 years ago
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist

hello,

does he have any lesions on his head?

or anywhere else on the body?

it will be better to see the photos and diagnose his condition. would it be possible for you to post them here through amazonaws.com or picassa?

you can also give me information on the size, shape,color of the lesions? Whether they are flat or raised? how do they start? where did they first start? how did it progress? any fluid filled or pus filled lesions? did you take any medications for it? are you on any other medications?

If you cannot send me photos, please do let me know.

Regards.