Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

We have a grandchild (a girl) 21 years old and she has had…

Customer Question
We have a grandchild (a...
We have a grandchild (a girl) 21 years old and she has had dry skin since she was 13 years old and her parents have been to many doctors including dermatologist over the years but cannot find an answer for the problem the girl has. As a result her mental atitude and her self-esteem is very negative and because of her looks which is dry skin and sores and itching she can't find work and/or lead a normal life. The girl is on the edge of having a very bad psychological problem if she can not get her skin cleared up.
She lives with her father in Stafford, VA. Can you recommend someone to cure this rare disease?.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/21/2010
Dermatologist: Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 8 years ago
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist

hello,

she seems to be having ichthyosis.

it will be better to see the photos and diagnose the condition. would it be possible for you to post them here through amazonaws.com or picassa?

you can also give me information on the size, shape,color of the lesions? Whether they are flat or raised? how do they start? where did they first start? how did it progress? any fluid filled or pus filled lesions?

does she have any other complaints like hearing or vision difficulties?

or any learning difficulties?

If you cannot send me photos, please do let me know.

Regards.

We will try to get some pictures to send you and info about what doctors have said, etc.
thanks
How can I send you a picture of our grand-daughter relative to the problem.
Ann Lagerlef -***@******.***
Thank you for your response to our inquiry about a skin problem with our gandchild, who is a 21 year old female.

We are going to send you a picture of the girl which shows some scratches on her
neck and on her ear.

The picture is not clear enough to show the dry, flakey skin, however, upon seeing her on June 1st, her skin was definitely dry but did not look like fish scales and she was
constantly scratching herself.

The shape of the scratches are elongated, not round.

The size may be a quarter of an inch long.

The color is red but not bleeding. But scabbing over.

The scratches come and go as she seeks to stop the itching.

I would estimate that her condition started about age 13 or purberty.

The scratches or sores do not have fluid or pus unless infected which surely happens at times.

The girl does not have a hearing problem as far as we know.

As for learning abilities, she did graduate from high school but we suspect that she has a little learning disability.

We are trying to get a current picture send to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.
hello,

thanks, ***** ***** be of great help in diagnosing her problem.

you can upload it on picassa and then type in the link here.

regards
Please let me know if you have received any of the pictures we sent. I have had lots of the pictures returned saying they couldn't deliver them. WHAT IS THE MATTER?????
***@******.***
hello,

no, i haven't received any pictures.

you could upload them on http://picasa.google.com/

and then send me the link.

regards