Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

My skin on my hands are splitting and peeling in the palms

My skin on my hands are splitting and peeling in the palms and on my finger tips. My feet do the same thing but right now they look like good skin is coming underneath the build up of skin on my feet. The skin peeling away reminds me of cradle cap.
I am using Vaseline to soften them. Any hep would be greatly appreaciated.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 7 years ago.
hello,

what you are experiencing is known as keratolysis exfoliativa.

it occurs secondary to a condition known as pompholyx.

the treatment would be:-

the treatment would be application of steroid cream like mometasone furoate 0.1% once a day for 10 days over the palms and

oral antihistaminic tablet like tab. loratidine 5 mg once a day will help you out with the itching.

the steroid cream that you are using is slightly milder than the one that i have suggested which will be very effective.

in case there is any pus filled lesion, then it is infected, a topical antibiotic cream i.e fucidin will be effective.

in case you sweat a lot over your palms and soles that will have to be taken care of as well.

in case you get fissure you need to apply fucidin cream in them

also you could continue vaseline.

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.