Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 11 weeks old now, he is perfectly fine but he have…

Customer Question
Hello Doctor, My son is...
Hello Doctor, My son is 11 weeks old now, he is perfectly fine but he have some skin infection on face and under neck, we went to GP he said it is fungi infection he gave the cream called Daktarin we used that cream for 2 weeks now bu its seems to be spreading all body and the skin turning like white patches and getting big, when i ask GP to refer Dermatology DR he said we dint needed but i am so worried and confused what can i do? can you please advise me
Thank you very much
Ragu
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/13/2010
Dermatologist: Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 8 years ago
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist

hello,

it will be better to see the photos and diagnose his condition. would it be possible for you to send them?

you can also give me information on the size, shape,color of the lesions? Whether they are flat or raised? how do they start? where did they first start? how did it progress? any fluid filled or pus filled lesions?

i can provide the photos, it started on the right jaw, started as very small round and it is flat, it started to speared under neck, around the mouth and ears
ok, please could you post the photos here through amazonaws.com
i couldn't upload the photos can i email to you?
i am sorry, just answer blocks my email id. maybe you could use picassa and send me the link here
Hello Doctor I just upload the photos if you need more i can do, please find the link below
thanks
http://picasaweb.google.com/106953554373594485639/SkinMarkPhotos#
hello,

thanks a lot for the pictures, they were very helpful.

i would like to give a differential diagnosis:-

1. candidiasis
2. pityriasis versicolor

they are both fungal infections and they look similar sometimes in infants. the treatment for both is the same.

it seems more likely that it is candidiasis.

the treatment would be application of clotrimazole cream twice daily to all the affected areas.

also you need to keep his neck and the other folds clean and dry.

clotrimazole dusting powder also should be applied after bath.

do not worry, if the colour takes atleast a month to get back.

also please consult his doctor, as in the photograph i am unable to examine him clinically. its best that he is monitored by his doctor.

but there is nothing serious, till you get an appointment you could start the treatment , i suggested.

a very cute baby.
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Thank you very much Doctor,
you are welcome