Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have been suffering with itchy hive type spots mainly on

Customer Question
hello i have been suffering...
hello i have been suffering with itchy hive type spots mainly on my chest ,neck in my hair some on my arms,shoulders and now on my face ,i have been perscribed all types of creams elocon and another one i cant remember none really help,.My skin itches all over if i dont take piriton every day .This has been going on since august last year
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dermatology
4/26/2010
Dermatologist: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Dear

You seem to be suffering from
Chronic Urticaria which is defined by a duration greater than 6 weeks.

There are numerous causes and most of the times a cause cannot be identified.

• Infections including viral, bacterial, protozoal
• Foods (particularly shellfish, fish, eggs, cheese, chocolate, nuts, berries, tomatoes)
• Environmental factors like pollen and house dust
• Exposure to natural rubber products
• Drugs including prescription drugs like different antibiotics and sulpha drugs.
• Exposure to undue skin pressure, cold, or heat
• Emotional stress
• Exercise
• Pregnancy

Chronic urticaria can be related to all of the above as well as to the following:
• Autoimmune disorders
• Cholinergic urticaria induced by emotional stress, heat, or exercise
• Chronic medical illness, such as hyperthyroidism, amyloidosis, polycythemia vera, malignant neoplasms, and lymphoma

Rarer causes include
Cold urticaria, cryoglobulinemia, cryofibrinogenemia, or syphilis
Mastocytosis
• Muckle-Wells syndrome
• Familial cold auto inflammatory syndrome

Investigations need to be done to rule out the above causes as well as to rule out different subtypes of viral hepatitis as viral hepatitis is also found to be responsible in many cases.

Treatment involves use of a food diary to keep track of what you are eating so that any pattern connecting the food to the occurrence of urticaria can be identified. If such a pattern is identified avoidance is the best strategy.

If food is not the cause than other allergens including the clothes or materials which come in contact with your body need to be considered.

As you seem to be having this to a greater extent at night time special emphasis needs to be paid as to what foods you take or things which you get in touch at night time.

Initial medical treatment is with anti histamine drugs including levocetrizine, cetrizine, fexofenadine, doxepin etc. and if these are not effective other drugs like Montelukast, Cyclosporine and steroids may be required.

An authentic and detailed resource for this condition is given below in the link and you may go through this

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/137362-overview

hi just to add a bit more history ,ihave had a food allergy test done and now stay away from certain foods.had a month of antibiotics in case it was somehting from the swimming pool last year on holiday,the family and i have twice had the scabbies cream .to rule that out .The only time the spots and itchy has ever dyed down is while i was skying ,I had three endoscopys done in june last year and three polops removed .but all is better there now .i takea probiotic. vit cand oils i am lost as where to go or what to do next

hi just to add a bit more history ,ihave had a food allergy test done and now stay away from certain foods.had a month of antibiotics in case it was somehting from the swimming pool last year on holiday,the family and i have twice had the scabbies cream .to rule that out .The only time the spots and itchy has ever dyed down is while i was skying ,I had three endoscopys done in june last year and three polops removed .but all is better there now .i takea probiotic. vit cand oils i am lost as where to go or what to do next .oh also i do do a lot of running but always have I have trained for and ran a few marathons?

Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor