salar176
salar176,
11855647

I have a light line down the center of my ponter finger on

Customer Question

I have a light brown line down the center of my ponter finger on my one hand and down the thumb offcenter on the other hand. I looked it up and I keep finding cancer as the answer. Im 27 caucasian female and I noticed these lines a couple years ago and didnt think anything of it until I stumbled upon soemthing on line that got me worried. Can this be somthing harmless or does it usually mean melanoma and what should I do?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  salar176 replied 7 years ago.
it doesnt sound like melanoma at all. this is most likely to be benign. melanoma is usually seen in moles with varying colors or can be seen in eyes. you should see a dermatologist for review but from description it doesnt sound like melanoma.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When you look up brown light down fingernail is shows pictures and it keeps bringing up melanonychia? are you familiar with this disease? and have you ever seen a line down the nail before?
Expert:  salar176 replied 7 years ago.
see this link and look at the picture of melanonychia ... is that what you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I dont see a link

Expert:  salar176 replied 7 years ago.
http://im ages.google.com.pk/images?q=melanonychia&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=8x2wS7bsDJO5rAfUkfSmAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CB0QsAQwAw

second

http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/IndexDisplay.cfm?ImageID=1258425654
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the first link wasnt working but the second one it definately does not look like that

it looks kind of like this but not as dark pedseducation.org/da_library?da3976.swf

Expert:  salar176 replied 7 years ago.
the link isnt working.

even if it is melano... there are other causes besides melanoma like inflammation, trauma, fungal infections, systemic disease etc. best bet is to see a dermatologist.