Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have sores on my face that will not heal. they are odd

Customer Question
I have sores on my...
I have sores on my face that will not heal. they are odd shaped and raised throughout the sore. One the size of a quarter on my left cheek and one on my chin. I can't keep my hands off of them because they are rough and scaly when they heal. When I pull the scab off, I have a harvest of white/clear wartlike roots embedded in my skin underneath and I can pull them out with tweezers and they bleed profusely before stopping and oozing clear liquid thereafter for another 10 minutes or so. I have had them on various parts of my face over a period of years, but these two won't go away. I am an over the road truck driver, and I find myself literally pulling off in a rest area to take these scabs off and pick these annoying things out of my face every day. I am at my wits end with this and just want them to go away once and for all. They do not respond to antibiotics. I've tried, topical and internal. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dermatology
3/29/2010
Dermatologist: Dr Jef Burk, DR replied 7 years ago
Dr Jef Burk

Hi

Can you post a picture of the affected area?

Dr Jef

Right now I have triple antibiotic on them to keep them moist. I have to use a 10x mirror to get the roots out of my face so it's very difficult to see them with a normal camera. I will try. thank you!
Thanks!

Dr. Jef.

Just wanted to tell you a few more things about these things on my face. When I pull these things out of my face, they leave a large hole, I am not sure if they are growing into my existing pores or if the problem itself is causing the holes. I have always had large pores on my face, but never had an acne problem as a teenager. I have gone through the change, so I am post-menopausal. I have fine hairs that grow on my face too. More than the average person but I do not remove the hair with anything. It's not noticeable.

I also have bad teeth. Where my teeth are bad continually gets infection, and these things are growing on the outside of my face in the areas where my teeth are bad in my mouth. On my cheek I have a bridge in my mouth that has a tooth that it's mounted to that is bad, and I have lost so much bone due to a gastric bypass 11 years ago that my teeth are getting loose. I have insurance that kicks in on April 1 through my company, so will get the dental work done asap. Where I had a loose tooth on the other side of my face, I also had one of these things growing, but I pulled the tooth out myself, and the sores disappeared.

I don't know if it's a virus that is feeding on the infection in my teeth or if it's just a coincidence. But right now my worst teeth are on the bottom in front and up under my bridge. I can move my bridge back and forth, but can't get it out by myself, nor do I want to, as it's all I have to chew with at this time, and it's painful when I do.

Also, When I pull the scab off, I see little white postules way down under the skin. If I take a needle and break the skin over these, and pull those out, they are very malable and very clean white balls, unlike the wartlike roots that I have to pull out with tweezers.

I am beside myself with this and am at the end of my rope. I just wished someone could tell me what it is, or might be so I know which direction to go when I have my insurance coverage the first of next month. If you can help me to steer in the right direction I would much appreciate it.

Again, thank you.

Lori

Relist: I still need help.
dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist