How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DoctorMarcus Your Own Question
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 1297
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
DoctorMarcus is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have swollen and wrinkled eyelids (the skin of my eyelids

Customer Question

I have swollen and wrinkled eyelids (the skin of my eyelids have extra folds in them - and both the upper and lower eyelids are swollen).

I initially thought it was an opthalmic problem and have been to eye clinics several times, however the eyedrops they prescribe for me have never reduced the wrinkling or swelling.

I have had this condition since April last year and I'm being told its an eye allergy, however I think its more likely it's a skin allergy/condition, seeing as it has been with me for some time. I also now have dark circles under my eyes, which weren't there before; they also aren't going away - I think they're as a result of what's been happening to my eyes/skin.

What do I do now? I'm really anxious to solve this problem, as I look horrible with my eyelids all swollen, puffy and wrinkled.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DoctorMarcus replied 7 years ago.
Sometimes, a skin condition called eczema, also known as atopic dermatitis, can cause itching and irritation of the skin of the eyelids. Since the skin is also swollen, it is possible that this could also be due to an allergic reaction. I notice that you do not seem to have used any oral medications. Medications like benadryl (will make you drowsy) or over-the-counter claritin or zyrtec will help the itching and might reduce the inflammation. It might be helpful for to see a dermatologist to get another in-person opinion about what is going on. This is particularly helpful, because some topical agents can be irritating or even damaging to the eye when used on the eyelids. Best of luck to you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, I already know all of the things you have just told me. I did use oral antihistamines at the start of my allergy, such as benadryl and claritin. However as they made no difference, I stopped using them and just focussed on using my eyedrops - which also didn't work.
Expert:  DoctorMarcus replied 7 years ago.
If your symptoms are resistant to all of these treatments, I'm sure you can appreciate the need for face to face evaluation since you have largely exhausted most of the treatments prescribed for the most common causes of what you describe. You might benefit from seeing a rheumatologist to see if there is a systemic cause of your rash such as lupus or sjogren's disease. Best of luck to you.