Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Itchy rash on my lower back.

Customer Question
have had an itchy rash...

have had an itchy rash on my lower back. (Red raised intensely itchy). I have seen derm and had one of the spots biopsied. Negative for folliculitis, fungus, etc. Not sure what is causing it. It started getting better with Vytone cream, but new ones are starting. Any ideas?

Already Tried:
Benadryl, cortaid and then prescription Vytone after seeing a dermatologist. Helped heal the old spots but new ones are coming out. No changes to diet, cleaning or laundry products. Intense itch....no one in family is suffering except me. Location is mid and lower back. predominantly on the left side.

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dermatology
1/4/2010
Dermatologist: Dr. Chip, General pratice replied 7 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
What was your dermatologist's diagnosis?

excoriation....they were scratched pretty badly at that point. I think that she treated the injury caused by the scratching but even after follow up and biopsy, not sure what caused it. It is starting again and that is what bothers me.

They start as tiny red bumps and grow as they are scratched.

I have results of biopsy and will type it out if you prefer!

Excoriation refers to the wounds left by persistent scratching. Was there no diagnosis for the rash itself?
No.....that is what is bothering me. She said "we may never know"..........great! It is starting up again! Could this be due to a food allergy? I am stumped!
Could you post a photo? If not, could you fully describe the rash? Were antihistamines ever prescribed?

I would not be able to post a photo since the rash is on my back and I am currently home alone. I told the Doc that I was taking benadryl just to curb the itch and make me sleep so that I would not scratch.

It starts as a small (size of a pin head or so) red, raised itchy mark. As it is rubbed or scratch, it grows and forms a scab.

I just tried about 20 times to take a picture but it is not working.

I have heard about celiac disease and that some people have rashes and no GI symptoms. Do you recommend follow up for that?

Celiac disorder could be a factor, although you should have digestive/malabsorption symptoms with that. Allergies may also be a factor, and a allergist referral would be in order. Chronic use of antihistamines, especially Allegra, Zyrtec, or Claritin would help with the itching and excoriation. It seems as though your dermatologist isn't very enthusiastic about finding a remedy, and I'd also suggest you obtain a second dermatological opinion.
An allergist is definitely in my future. Thank you for your time!
You're welcome.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice