How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 29176
Experience:  MD
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had this rash on the foreskin/rim of tip of my penis

Customer Question

I have had this rash on the foreskin/rim of tip of my penis for about 4 months now it does not hurt or burn it is just there and i am worried that it is an STD. But hoping for the best and it is just a rash that my body developed and i just haven't treated it so it hasnt gone anywhere. I have had unprotected sex i have a doctors appointment next friday to know for sure but i would love just to hear anything else it could be other then an STD
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.


Asymptomatic rash in the penis is rarely a STD.

STDs usually cause pain, discharge or ulceration.

Unprotected sex is just a coincidence.

Your rash is likely due to either atopic dermatitis or balanitis circumscripta.

THis can be caused by reaction to latex condoms, detergents, duodorants, trauma, chronic infection.

These are benign conditions.

Usually corticosteroid ointment (hydrocortisone, desonide) or tacrolimus cream may be helpful.

If persistent surgical excision provides permanent cure.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is not strange that it has been there for so long with out spreading?? they usual last that long?? and what type of Usually corticosteroid ointment (hydrocortisone, desonide) or tacrolimus would you advise me to use? and how long till it goes away?? So you are saying something i wore or came in contact with casued this rash for 4 months??
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

Yes, this is not strange.

This rash can persistb for long time without any treatment.

The rash does not usually spread especially in cases of balanitis circumscripta.

A local skin biopsy along with clinical examination will clarify the issue.

You should see a dermatologist.

Tacrolimus cream 0.1% or hydrocortisone 2% may be tried.

You should use till the rash resolves or for atleast 2-3 weeks.

Before using these agents, it is better to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection (not STDs, but infections caused by 'skin bacteria').

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you are saying i shouldnt go out and get that cream now? and when i said it hasnt moved i mean that much because it started just on the forskin then it move slighty up to the rim of the tip and where it was before cleared up all the way
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

Yes correct.

You should not appy any cream till you see the dermatologist for proper evaluation.

This condition is limited to the affected area you mentioned.