Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

The palms of my hands are turning orange. this started about

Customer Question
two months ago.I am 66...
The palms of my hands are turning orange. this started about two months ago.I am 66 years old. female.I have excellent health-no other symtoms.Is this condition something I should worry about?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dermatology
10/22/2009
Dermatologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Greetings.

Are you taking any vitamin supplements or herbs?

Are you vegetarian?

Dr. Arun

I take a multi vitamin, vit c, a weight loss aid called Bio Slim. I am not vegitarian, however I have greatly reduced my red meat consumption. I pretty much follow Weight Watchers diet. I was taking the supplements long before I noticed a change in skin coloration.

With no other symptoms, the orange discoloration of the hands should not be worrying or concerning. The common reasons can be;

1) Herbs,

2) Supplements

3) Lycopenemia (orange skin discoloration due to the eating significant amount of tomatoes)
4) Riboflavinemia; increased riboflavin

5) Carotenemia; due to the excessive intake of carrots and other yellow and green vegetables and citrus fruits.

6) Vitamin A supplements

7) Ingestion of red palm oil

Your physician may do following investigations;

i) Serum beta-carotene level

ii) Serum vitamin A level.

iii) Liver function test

The orange palms should also be distinguished from some skin conditions, like;

a) Pityriasis rosea

b) Pityriasis rubra pilaris

c) Palmar keratoderma

d) Pityriasis alba

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

thank you your information will be most helpful. I am going to stop taking the Bio Slim to see if that is the cause.

You are most welcome. Yes, stoppage a single item at a time, may identify the causative.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon