How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hanish Babu, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 544
Experience:  MBBS; MD 26 years Experience.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rash around my anus. the skin is peeling and it is

Customer Question

I have a rash around my anus. the skin is peeling and it is red and itchy. i have herpes and have recently had an outbreak, but it has subsided. i have used the topical before and valtrax and never had any problems. please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 8 years ago.


Thanks for asking your concern on justanswer.

What you have is an intertrigo, this can be caused by irritation of the area, bacterial infection or yeast infection.

  • In irritant dermatitis the skin will be itchy, red and oozing, appear suddenly.
  • In bacterila infection, there will be pain, maceration and burning.
  • In yeast infection, there will be itching and satellite lesions surrounding the main rash.

The treatment for each are different.

Here is what to do:

  1. Clean the area with Betadine(povidone iodine) solution.
  2. For Irritant dermatitis: apply a zinc oxide salve at night and a mild steroid like hydrocortisone 1% in the morning for a couple of days.
  3. For Bacterial intertrigo, you may require a course of prescription antibiotics. Most of the time, topical application of Fucidin should suffice.
  4. For yeast intertrigo, apply Clotrimazole solution twice daily to the area, and, when you go out, use clotrimazole powder.
  5. Have your blood sugar checked.
  6. If after any of this, the rash still persists, see your doctor.

Hope this helps.

If you need further clarification, please ask. __________________________________

My answer is for your personal information only. It should not be used as a substitute to visiting your doctor. No treatment should be tried without first consulting a doctor.